SEC players of the week
October, 8, 2012
By Chris Low | ESPN.com
The SEC league office has announced its top performers for Week 6:
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida: Gillislee rushed for 146 yards on 34 carries and two touchdowns in Florida’s 14-6 win over LSU. Both of his touchdowns came in the second half to help the Gators overcome a 6-0 halftime deficit. Gillislee rushed for 52 yards in the fourth quarter. His 146 yards was the most against LSU since Arkansas’ Knile Davis ran for 152 yards on Nov. 27, 2010. His 34 carries is tied for the third most in school history.
- Matt Elam, S, Florida: Elam’s forced fumble late in the fourth quarter against LSU changed the momentum of the game and helped Florida to a 14-6 win over LSU. He also tallied a team-high seven solo tackles with one for a two-yard loss. The Gators defense held LSU to 33 consecutive snaps without a first down.
- Kevin Minter, LB, LSU: Minter tallied 20 total tackles including a school-record 17 solo stops in the Tigers’ 14-6 loss at Florida. He had three tackles for loss (-17 yards), including two sacks (-16 yards) and a forced fumble. The 20 total tackles is an SEC best this season.
- Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina: Sanders returned a punt 70 yards for a touchdown that gave South Carolina an insurmountable 21-0 advantage en route to a 35-7 win over Georgia. It was Sanders’ second career punt return for a touchdown.
- Richard Kent, P, Vanderbilt: Kent averaged 45.2 yards on six punts with two inside the Missouri 20-yard line in Vanderbilt’s 19-15 win at Missouri. Facing a Tigers squad that had returned three punts for touchdowns already this season, Kent enjoyed a net average of 44.9 yards, allowing just one return for three yards by the Tigers.
- T.J. Johnson, C, South Carolina: Johnson graded out at 86 percent against Georgia with seven knockdowns and no quarterback pressures in South Carolina’s 35-7 win against Georgia. The Gamecocks amassed 230 yards rushing and 162 yards passing against the Bulldogs.
- Trey Flowers, DE, Arkansas: Flowers registered 3.5 tackles for loss (all sacks), two quarterback pressures and five tackles (all career highs) in Arkansas’ 24-7 win at Auburn. His sack total is the highest single-game total in the SEC this season and tied for fourth in NCAAFBSthis season. Arkansas finished the game with eight sacks, tied for the single-game high this season in the SEC and second highest in NCAA FBS this season.
- Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State: McKinney posted a career-best 12 total tackles with 10 solo stops in Mississippi State’s 27-14 win at Kentucky. He also tallied a tackle for loss and two pass deflections. He helped a Bulldog defense that held nine of 12 Kentucky possessions to 20-yards-or-less and forced five 3-and-outs.
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: Manziel rushed for 129 yards on 20 carries and a touchdown while completing 17-of-26 passes for 191 yards with another score and two interceptions in Texas A&M’s 30-27 win at Ole Miss. Manziel engineered two scoring drives in the final half of the fourth quarter to put the Aggies in the win column.
12:00 PM ET UAB Arkansas 3:30 PM ET 1 Mississippi State Kentucky 4:00 PM ET Vanderbilt Missouri 7:15 PM ET 3 Ole Miss 24 LSU 7:30 PM ET South Carolina 5 Auburn 7:30 PM ET 4 Alabama Tennessee