Did you know?
November, 16, 2012
By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com
It's that time of the week where we take a look at SEC notes and facts from the league and ESPN Stats & Information:
Arkansas at Mississippi State
Arkansas at Mississippi State
- Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell has tossed 30 career TD passes, good for fifth on the school’s all-time list. Last weekend, Russell broke the MSU single-season record with his 17th TD pass of the year.
- Arkansas wide receiver Cobi Hamilton holds the Arkansas single-season records for receptions (73) and receiving yards (1,149).
- Arkansas has 18 players who have made their first collegiate start this season, the most in the SEC and tied for the fifth-highest total in the country.
- Mississippi State wide receiver Chad Bumphis, with 144 career catches, needs 18 receptions to tie the school record of 162 set by David Smith in 1970. His 2,024 career receiving yards are ninth in school history.
- Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson, with 7,181 career passing yards, needs 241 yards to move into second on the school’s career list and 312 yards to become the school’s career leader (7,493 yards by Ryan Mallett, 2009-10).
- Alabama enters the game 39-for-42 in its red zone trips, tied for fifth nationally (93 percent).
- Over the past four years, Alabama’s starting quarterbacks have thrown 16 interceptions in 1,205 pass attempts (one interception every 75.3 pass attempts), while the defense has recorded 73 interceptions in 50 games.
- Jeremy Shelley is the only kicker in the nation yet to miss an extra point (46-46) or field goal (10-10) this season.
- Alabama is third in the nation in three-and-outs on defense per game at 5.2 (52 in 10 games).
- Alabama averaged 4.7 yards per rush on designed running plays against Texas A&M, its second lowest in a game this season (Ole Miss, 4.2). The Tide averaged 3.2 yards on such plays in the second half, their lowest for any half this season.
- AJ McCarron has one career interception in 88 red zone attempts (20 TD). McCarron’s one interception came on his last red zone attempt last Saturday against Texas A&M.
- McCarron has completed 64 percent of his passes thrown 20 yards or longer this season, including 7 of 8 attempts when targeting freshman Amari Cooper. McCarron completed 38.6 percent of such throws last season.
- Alabama has allowed just 11 100-plus-yard rushers since 2005, least in NCAA FBS.
- In school history, 14 Florida teams have started a season 9-1 or better through 10 games. Before this season, the most recent year was 2009, going 10-0.
- According to the NCAA, Florida currently has the No. 1 strength of schedule. The opponents’ record tally is 60-30 (.667).
- Florida's four-win improvement in conference play matches the best in program history.
- Florida has the fourth fewest receptions (29) in the FBS that gained at least 15 yards.
- Florida has 43 missed tackles this season, 15 fewer than any other SEC team.
- Florida’s offense has had 83 plays that lost yards this season, tied for the ninth most in the FBS.
- With a win over Wofford, Steve Spurrier would tie Rex Enright for the Carolina school record with 64 coaching wins.
- South Carolina is eighth in the nation in sacks (33) and 13th in total defense (308.90 yards per game allowed). The 33 sacks this season for Carolina is second in school history (41, 2010).
- Connor Shaw is averaging 5.3 yards per carry on designed runs in South Carolina’s wins this season and 0.9 the Gamecocks’ losses.
- South Carolina has scored 10 touchdowns in one minute or less, tied for the most in the SEC (Tennessee, Alabama).
- Auburn’s field goal defense unit has blocked three kicks this season. The Tigers have 12 blocked kicks (four FGs, three punts, five PATs) in the Gene Chizik era at Auburn.
- Auburn wide receiver Emory Blake is fifth in school history with 123 receptions and tied for seventh in reception yardage with 1,946.
- A win Saturday would mark the 20th time in school history that the Bulldogs have reached 10 wins in a season. Georgia last had back-to-back 10-win seasons in 2007-08.
- Georgia has 34 plays of 30 yards or more this season, the third most in FBS. The Bulldogs had 23 all of last season. The only game that the Bulldogs did not have at least one such play was at South Carolina in their only loss of the season.
- Aaron Murray has completed 75.2 percent of his passes on first downs this season with 10 touchdowns. Of his 96 completions, 26 (27.7 percent) have resulted in a gain of 20 or more yards.
- Georgia averages 8.2 yards on first down, tied for the highest average in FBS this season (Oklahoma State).
- Running back Todd Gurley is third in school history for rushing yards by a freshman with 973. Gurley has had seven 100-plus-yard rushing games this season.
- Ole Miss has scored in 33 of its 35 red zone trips (94.3 percent) this season, second-best in the nation and tops in the SEC. Ole Miss is the only SEC team without a turnover in the red zone this year and has gone 22-for-22 in the red zone against league opponents.
- LSU has sent five or more pass-rushers on 22.8 percent of its opponents’ drop-backs this season. When blitzing, the Tigers have allowed six passing touchdowns, including two touchdowns in their past two games. When dropping seven into coverage, LSU has allowed just four pass touchdowns in 243 attempts.
- With an 8-2 mark, LSU has now won at least eight games for a school-record 13 straight seasons. That ties Boise State for the longest current streak in college football.
- Ends Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery have combined for 31 of the Tigers’ 58 quarterback hurries, including four hurries on passes that were intercepted. Additionally, they have nine sacks when LSU does not blitz.
- LSU has allowed opponents to complete just two of 21 passes thrown 25 yards or longer and have not allowed a touchdown on such a pass this season.
- LSU has gone 46 straight offensive possessions without a turnover (284 total plays).
- Quarterback Johnny Manziel is ranked in the top three of all FBS freshmen in eight major statistical categories (1st – Passing Yards per game/Total Passing Yards/Completions/Total Offense per game/Points Responsibility per game; 2nd – Rushing Yards per game/Scoring per game; 3rd – Passing Efficiency).
- Manziel has gained 728 of his SEC-leading 1,014 rush yards on scrambles. That is 51 more yards scrambling than Marcus Mariota, Denard Robinson, Braxton Miller and Collin Klein have combined. Manziel has scrambled for 31 first downs this season, including 20 first downs on third down.
- Manziel is 56-of-73 (76.7 percent) with six touchdowns and no interceptions when targeting Ryan Swope this season.
- Texas A&M has five touchdown drives that lasted at least five minutes. The Aggies had one such drive in 2011.
- A&M’s 545.4 total offensive yards per game is ahead of SEC record pace, set by Florida in 1995 (534.4 ypg).
- The A&M defense has had 29 sacks this season from 13 different players.
- Tennessee has scored at least 40 points five times in 2012, the most in a season since the 196 team also recorded five 40-plus games.
- Vanderbilt is searching for its fifth straight win this season, which last happened in 2008 and before that, 1982.
- UT quarterback Tyler Bray has 64 career passing TDs, which is fourth in school history. Bray also has 509 career completions, which is fifth in UT history (with five more completions, would move to fourth).
- The Tigers are looking for its sixth win of the season and hopes of achieving bowl eligibility for a school-record eighth-straight season.
- Missouri has won a school-record 18 straight games against nonconference foes at home. Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel is 25-2 (.926) in his Tigers career at home against nonconference teams.
- The Missouri defense has had a takeaway in 28 straight games (last game was Oct. 30, 2010 at Nebraska).
- Quarterback James Franklin is eighth in Missouri history with 4,254 passing yards and eighth in total offensive yards (5,498).
- Kentucky is looking for its third consecutive win in a home finale.
- Kentucky is sixth in the nation in most true freshmen played with 14, only two behind the national leader . Of Kentucky’s 80 recruiting scholarship players, 55 are freshmen or sophomores.
- Kentucky is fourth in the nation for most total freshmen (true and redshirt frosh) played with 26, only two behind the national leader.
- Linebacker Avery Williamson leads Kentucky and the SEC in total tackles with 115 and tackles per game with 11.5. Williamson ranks third nationally in tackles per game and has double-figure tackles in seven of 10 games this season, including three in a row.
12:00 PM ET Troy 13 Georgia 3:30 PM ET 6 Texas A&M SMU 3:30 PM ET Florida 3 Alabama 4:00 PM ET Indiana 18 Missouri 7:00 PM ET Northern Illinois Arkansas 7:00 PM ET Mississippi State 8 LSU 7:30 PM ET 14 South Carolina Vanderbilt