SEC lunchtime links
August, 9, 2013
By Michael DiRocco | ESPN.com
Here's a little reading to get your weekend jump-started.
- With all the attention on autographs and NCAA violations, Alabama coach Nick Saban says he trusts his players not to take money to sign.
- The Crimson Tide had a pretty high-profile guest speaker on Thursday: New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who spoke to the team about complacency, selfishness and accountability.
- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn took an unusual step to try and get some separation in the Tigers' quarterback competition. He let all four of them get hit during a scrimmage in the hopes of generating some separation.
- The Baton Rouge (La.) Advocate, citing sources, reported that LSU guard Josh Wilford suffered a concussion during practice on Thursday and it may be a career-threatening injury.
- Kiero Small took a long road to Arkansas -- one that included military school and junior college -- and it has helped shape the fullback into the heart and soul of the Razorbacks.
- One of the reasons Mississippi State's Cedric Ogbuehi is happy about his move from guard to tackle is the fact that tackles make more money in the NFL.
- Recruiting is a never-ending grind for coaches, as Georgia's assistants can attest.
- The Bulldogs also have a couple of pretty impressive freshmen defensive backs.
- Florida has a trio of replacement players -- linebacker Michael Taylor, quarterback Tyler Murphy and running back Mack Brown -- who have capably filled in for injured and suspended teammates in the first week of camp. Two of those players -- quarterback Jeff Driskel and linebacker Antonio Morrison -- returned to the practice field Thursday night.
- The newfound enthusiasm around Kentucky football has the Wildcats' seniors encouraged about their final season.
- You know what the Tennessee football program could use? A little luck, Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel columnist John Adams says.
- South Carolina's third-fastest player is a walk-on wide receiver who is a cousin of former Clemson quarterback Charlie Whitehurst. He's keeping that last part mostly to himself.
2:12 3rd Qtr Boston College 21 Penn State 7 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State