Thursday, April 28, 2011
SEC quarterbacks and the first round
By ESPN.com staff
With most signs continuing to point toward Auburn's Cam Newton being drafted No. 1 overall Thursday night by the Carolina Panthers, it's worth looking at the most recent SEC quarterbacks to go in the first round.
There have been seven over the past 10 years, which doesn't include Arkansas' Matt Jones, who was drafted as a receiver in the first round in 2005:
If you go back to the 1998 draft, there have been five SEC quarterbacks taken with the No. 1 overall pick. Kentucky's Tim Couch was drafted with the top pick in 1999 and Tennessee's Peyton Manning in 1998.
Going back to the 1971 draft and Ole Miss' Archie Manning, there have been eight SEC quarterbacks drafted with one of the top three picks:
- 2009 – Georgia’s Matthew Stafford, 1st pick
- 2007 – LSU’s JaMarcus Russell, 1st pick
- 2004 – Ole Miss’ Eli Manning, 1st pick
- 1999 – Kentucky’s Tim Couch, 1st pick
- 1998 – Tennessee’s Peyton Manning, 1st pick
- 1994 – Tennessee’s Heath Shuler, 3rd pick
- 1973 – LSU’s Bert Jones, 2nd pick
- 1971 – Ole Miss’ Archie Manning, 2nd pick