Monday, September 12, 2011
SEC players of the week
By Edward Aschoff
The SEC announced the top performers from Week 2. Here is a look at them:
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- QB TYLER BRAY (Tennessee) -- Bray threw for a career-high 405 yards and had four touchdowns, while completing 34 of 41 passes for a school-record 82.9 percent in Tennessee’s 45-23 win over Cincinnati. His 34 completions were the sixth-most in school history and he extended his school-record and current SEC-best streak of consecutive games with at least two touchdown passes to eight. He also rushed for a touchdown against the Bearcats, giving him the only five-touchdown effort in the SEC this season.
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- S MARK BARRON (Alabama) -- Barron recorded seven total tackles, an interception and a fumble recovery in Alabama’s 27-11 win at Penn State. His interception ended a Penn State drive at Alabama's 9-yard line in the third quarter and the fumble recovery stopped the Nittany Lions at the Alabama 35-yard line.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- DE MELVIN INGRAM (South Carolina) -- Yes, you're reading this correctly. Ingram took a direct snap on a fake punt and ran 68 yards for a touchdown and also caught an onside kick at end of game to seal South Carolina’s 45-42 win at Georgia. On defense, Ingram recovered fumble and ran it 5 yards for a touchdown late in fourth quarter to put the Gamecocks up by 10.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- OG ALVIN BAILEY (Arkansas) -- Bailey and the Arkansas offensive line helped the Razorbacks' offense total 632 yards of offense, the sixth-highest total in school history, in Arkansas’ 52-3 win against New Mexico. The Razorbacks recorded 34 first downs, which tied for the second-highest total in school history. Arkansas quarterbacks completed 26 of 39 passes for 373 yards and two touchdowns. Arkansas also rushed for 259 yards and four touchdowns against the Lobos.
SEC Co-FRESHMEN OF THE WEEK
- DT ROB LOHR (Vanderbilt) -- Lohr collected four total tackles, all for losses, and a pass deflection, in Vanderbilt’s 24-21 win against Connecticut. His four tackles totaled 13 yards of losses and also included a 1-yard sack. Vanderbilt’s defense held the Huskies to just 89 rushing yards on 36 carries, an average of 2.5 yards per attempt.
OTHER NOTABLE PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 2:
- RB JOSH CLEMONS (Kentucky) -- Clemons rushed for 126 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries. His touchdown as a school freshman record 87-yarder, in Kentucky’s 27-13 win against Central Michigan.
- RB ISAIAH CROWELL (Georgia) -- Crowell rushed for 118 yards on 16 carries with a touchdown and had two catches for 40 yards and another score in Georgia’s 45-42 loss to South Carolina.
- OL WILLIAM VLACHOS (Alabama) -- Received the top grade on the Alabama offensive line against Penn State. Allowed no sacks, no pressures and did not get called for any penalties.
- WR COBI HAMILTON(Arkansas) -- Caught five passes for 132 yards and a touchdown against New Mexico.
- RB MICHAEL DYER (Auburn) -- Rushed for 150 yards and two touchdowns against Mississippi State.
- P STEVEN CLARK (Auburn) -- Punted six times for a 45.7 yard average, including four punts inside the 20, two of which were inside the 10, against Mississippi State.
- RB CHRIS RAINEY (Florida) -- Registered 162 yards of total offense, including 119 on the ground and a touchdown, against UAB.
- K CALEB STURGIS (Florida) -- Went 3-for-3 on field goals and 4-for-4 on extra points against UAB.
- CB/RS BRANDON BOYKIN (Georgia) -- Set school record with seven kickoff returns for 184 yards and also had two tackles and interception against South Carolina.
LB DANNY TREVATHAN (Kentucky) -- Totaled 13 tackles, three for losses, an interception and pass deflection against Central Michigan.
- WR RUEBEN RANDLE(LSU) -- Caught five passes for 121 yards against Northwestern State.
- RB/RS JEFF SCOTT (Ole Miss) -- Totaled 210 all-purpose yards (118 rushing yards)and a career-high four touchdowns against Southern Illinois.
- DE WAYNE DORSEY (Ole Miss) -- Had three solo stops, two for losses, a sack, interception and pass deflection against Southern Illinois.
- LB CAMERON LAWRENCE (Mississippi State) -- Credited with 14 total tackles, 12 solos, with 3.5 for losses, a sack and forced fumble against Auburn.
- RB MARCUS LATTIMORE (South Carolina) -- Had 176 rushing yards on 27 carries and a touchdown against Georgia.
- OT DALLAS THOMAS (Tennessee) -- Part of an offensive line that saw Vols tally 531 yards of total offense against Cincinnati.
- CB CASEY HAYWARD(Vanderbilt) -- Had four tackles, one for loss, and returned interception 50 yards for a touchdown against Connecticut.