Monday, September 26, 2011
SEC players of the week
By Edward Aschoff
Here are the players of the week in the SEC:
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- TRENT RICHARDSON, RB (Alabama): Richardson rushed for a game-high 126 yards on 17 carries (7.4 avg) in Alabama’s 38-14 win against Arkansas. He also caught three passes for a game-high 85 yards, including a 61-yard touchdown. It was Richardson’s third straight 100-yard game and now ranks second in the SEC with an average of 110.3 rushing yards per game. He also finished with 235 all-purpose yards with the addition of a 24-yard kickoff return.
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- MELVIN INGRAM, DE (South Carolina): Ingram scored his third touchdown of the season, this time falling on a fumble in the end zone in the second quarter for the Gamecocks' first points in a 21-3 win over Vanderbilt. Ingram was also credited with four tackles on the night, including three tackles for loss that accounted for 24 yards, and a pair of sacks. He also broke up one pass.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- BRAD WING, P (LSU): In his first game since the season-opener, Wing punted six times for a 48.7 average in LSU’s 47-21 win at West Virginia. All six of Wing’s punts were downed inside the 20-yard line. West Virginia’s started possessions at its own 3, 4, 5, 8, 10 and 11 yard line following Wing’s punts. None of Wing’s punts were returned. His long punt of 60 yards that went from LSU having the ball on its own 34 to pinning West Virginia inside its 5-yard line.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- BARRETT JONES, OT (Alabama): Jones received the highest grade on the Alabama offensive line in the Crimson Tide’s 38-14 win against Arkansas. He started at left tackle in the game and also spent time later in the game at right tackle. He has started all four games at left tackle, but has also played center and guard this season. Jones helped lead a balanced Alabama attack that led to 197 rushing yards and 200 passing yards.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
- JAYE HOWARD, DT (Florida): Howard recovered a fumble and returned it for Florida’s first defensive touchdown of the season in the Gators’ 48-10 win against Kentucky. He totaled three tackles and has a pass breakup against the Wildcats. Howard anchored a defensive front that limited Kentucky to 4-of-17 on third downs and 0-for-5 on fourth downs and forced the Wildcats into three 3-and-outs.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 4
- ISAIAH CROWELL, RB (Georgia): Crowell recorded a career-high 30 carries for a career-high 147 yards (4.9 average) to pace the Bulldogs during their 27-13 road win over Ole Miss. Crowell’s 30 carries were the most for a Georgia rusher since Knowshon Moreno had 33 in 2007.
- CB DRE KIRKPATRICK (Alabama) -- Had six total tackles (all solos) with one for a loss (-3 yards) and three pass deflections against Arkansas.
- RB/RS DENNIS JOHNSON (Arkansas) -- Totaled 123 all-purpose rushing yards including 105 yards on five kickoff returns against Alabama.
- LB ALONZO HIGHSMITH (Arkansas) -- Had team-high eight total tackles with two for losses, including a sack against Alabama.
- DB JERMAINE WHITEHEAD (Auburn) -- Became first Tiger true freshman since 1996 to return an interception for a TD against Florida Atlantic.
- WR EMORY BLAKE (Auburn) -- Caught five passes for 78 yards including a touchdown against Florida Atlantic.
- RB JEFF DEMPS( Florida) -- Rushed for 157 yards on 10 carries and two TDs including 84-yard TD run against Kentucky.
- FS BACCARI RAMBO (Georgia) -- Had two interceptions and four total tackles (all solos) against Ole Miss.
- LB DANNY TREVATHAN (Kentucky) -- Tallied eight total tackles (4 solos) with 1.5 for losses, including sack, a forced and recovered fumble and a pass deflection against Florida.
- WR LA'ROD KING (Kentucky) -- Caught game-high five passes for 50 yards and a touchdown against Florida.
- DB TYRANN MATHIEU (LSU) -- Created two turnovers, had six total tackles and a pass deflection against West Virginia.
- CB/RS NICKOLAS BRASSELL (Ole Miss) -- Returned punt 81 yards for a touchdown, rushed for 14 yards on one carry, had two catches for 52 yards and a tackle on defense against Georgia.
- CB CHARLES SAWYER (Ole Miss) -- Posted season-high nine tackles (eight solos) and had an interception, two pass deflections and recovered onside kick against Georgia.
- LB BRANDON WILSON (Mississippi State) -- Had game-high 18 total tackles (five solos) against Louisiana Tech.
- RS/WRCHAD BUMPHIS (Mississippi State) -- Returned punt 82 yards for a touchdown, had 25 yards rushing on two carries and caught two passes for 17 yards against Louisiana Tech.
- RB MARCUS LATTIMORE (South Carolina) -- Rushed for 77 yards on 20 carries and a touchdown and also caught 3 passes for 73 yards and a touchdown against Vanderbilt.
- LB CHASE GARNHAM (Vanderbilt) -- Had game-high 10 total tackles (8 solos) with a half tackle for loss (-1 yard) against South Carolina.
- LB CHRIS MARVE (Vanderbilt) -- Had nine total tackles (six solos) and an interception against South Carolina.