Monday, October 3, 2011
SEC players of the week
By Edward Aschoff
Here's a look at the SEC players of the week announced by the league Monday:
CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas: Wilson completed 30 of 51 passes for 510 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions in Arkansas’ come-from-behind 42-38 win against Texas A&M. His 510-yard passing effort set an Arkansas single-game record, was the fifth-highest total in SEC history and was the most of any player in the nation this season. Wilson also scored on a two-point conversion in the fourth quarter to tie the score 35-35.
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas: Wright set an Arkansas school record with 281 receiving yards on a school-record tying 13 receptions against Texas A&M. Wright’s receiving yardage is the second-highest in SEC history and his average per catch (21.6) is the second-highest in league history. It is also the second-highest total in the nation this season and the 13 catches are most in the SEC this season.
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina: Ingram recorded 11 total tackles, including eight solo, had 4.5 tackles for loss (minus-21 yards), including a career-best three sacks (minus-20 yards), against Auburn. Ingram also collected an interception and two quarterback hurries against the Tigers.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Steven Clark, P, Auburn: Clark punted seven times for an average of 37.9 yards per punt, including five punts inside the 20-yard line, all of which were inside the 12, with two inside the 5, in Auburn’s 16-13 win at South Carolina. After Clark’s punts, South Carolina’s average starting field position was the USC 16-yard line as its possessions started at the 38, 4, 1, 11, 12 and 12. Clark is the first Auburn punter with five punts inside the 20 since Jaret Holmes had five at Arkansas in 1997.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- William Vlachos, C, Alabama: Vlachos received the highest grade on an Alabama offensive line that cleared the way for a 38-10 win at Florida. Vlachos did not allow a sack or a pressure and made critical line calls in pass protection. Alabama rushed for 226 total yards and added 140 yards through the air.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
- Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU: Montgomery led the LSU defense with six total tackles, two for losses, including 1.5 sacks, in the Tigers’ 35-7 win against Kentucky. Montgomery was key on an LSU defense that held Kentucky to just 155 total yards. Seventy of those yards came after LSU had built a 35-0 lead late in the fourth quarter.
- Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia: Crowell recorded his second consecutive 100-yard rushing game (third of the season) in Georgia’s 24-10 win over Mississippi State. Crowell tallied 104 rushing yards on 22 carries, a 4.7 yard per rush average, against the Bulldogs.
You can look at the other top SEC performances here.