Wednesday, August 15, 2012
The SEC's best 25 players: No. 13
By Chris Low
There's no shortage of marquee pass-rushers in the SEC, and several of those guys will pop up as we finish our countdown of the league's top players for the 2012 season:
No. 13: Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn, Jr.
2011 summary: In his first season as a full-time starter, Lemonier tied for fourth in the SEC with 9.5 sacks and tied for eighth with 13.5 tackles for loss. He was a first-team All-SEC selection by the coaches and a second-team All-SEC selection by the Associated Press.
Most recent ranking: Not ranked in the 2011 postseason countdown.
Making the case for Lemonier: Even though he was only a sophomore last season, Lemonier emerged as one of the best big-play defenders in the SEC. He recorded at least one sack in four straight games, and in addition to his big sack numbers, he also forced five fumbles, which tied him for second in the league. The 6-4, 246-pound Lemonier should be even better in his second full season as a starter. He has a deeper understanding of how opposing offensive linemen will try to block him and should also be better against the run. The other thing that sticks out about Lemonier is that he played some of his best football a year ago in some of the Tigers' biggest games. Whoever has to block him in 2012 will be in for a long day.
- No. 25: Matt Elam, S, Florida, Jr.
- No. 24: Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee, Jr.
- No. 23: Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M, Sr.
- No. 22: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama, Jr.
- No. 21: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia, Jr.
- No. 20: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M, Jr.
- No. 19: Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee, Jr.
- No. 18: Jesse Williams, NG, Alabama, Sr.
- No. 17: Bennie Logan, DT, LSU, Jr.
- No. 16: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee, Jr.
- No. 15: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas, Sr.
- No. 14: Chris Faulk, OT, LSU, Jr.