Monday, September 3, 2012
SEC players of the week
By Edward Aschoff
The SEC announced its players of the week for the first weekend of the year:
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina: In his first appearance since a season-ending knee injury last October, Lattimore rushed for a game-high 110 yards on 23 carries and two touchdowns in South Carolina’s 17-13 win at Vanderbilt. Lattimore also had a team-high three receptions for 21 yards.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama: Milliner totaled five tackles, four pass deflections and an interception in Alabama’s 41-14 win against No. 8 Michigan in Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. His four pass deflections, all in the first half, were a career high. Milliner was also named the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week.
OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Marcus Murphy, RB, Missouri: Murphy returned a pair of punts for touchdowns and accumulated 206 all-purpose yards in Missouri’s 62-10 win against Southeastern Louisiana. Murphy's touchdown returns were 70 and 72 yards and he became the first Tiger to have two returns for scores in the same game. Murphy’s two punt return touchdowns also ties an NCAA and SECrecord. Murphy registered 180 punt return yards (five attempts) and 32 rushing yards on five carries in the game.
Co-DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Zach Fulton, OG, Tennessee: Fulton started his 16th consecutive game at right guard and was a part of an offensive line that led Tennessee to a 35-21 win over NC State in Atlanta. Tennessee's offense generated 524 total yards, the most since the second game of the 2011 season. The Vols also rushed for 191 yards against the Wolfpack, eclipsing the final totals from all but one game from last year. Tennessee's line also allowed just one sack against NC State.
Co-FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
- C.J. Johnson, DE, Ole Miss: Johnson recorded six tackles and a sack in Ole Miss' 49-27 win over Central Arkansas. With Ole Miss up just one score in the fourth quarter, Johnson’s sack ended a UCA drive and provided momentum that resulted in three straight Rebel TD scoring drives. He also totaled six tackles.
- Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas: Smith had six tackles, a sack and a quarterback hurry in Arkansas’ 49-24 win against Jacksonville State. His sack came on a fourth-down play, giving possession back to the Hogs.
- Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia: Gurley accounted for 227 all-purpose yards, including 100 rushing yards and two touchdownss on eight carries and returned a kickoff 100 yards for another score in Georgia’s 45-23 win against Buffalo.
- T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama: Yeldon led the Crimson Tide with 111 yards on 11 carries and a touchdown in Alabama’s 41-14 win against Michigan. He became the first true freshman at Alabama to rush for more than 100 yards in his debut.
For other top performances in the SEC from the opening weekend, check out the SEC's official website.