Monday, September 10, 2012
SEC players of the week
By Edward Aschoff
Here are the SEC players of the week as announced by the league Monday:
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Tyler Russell, QB, Mississippi State: Russell led Mississippi State to a 28-10 victory over Auburn in the SEC opener for both teams. It was Mississippi State's first win in an SEC opener since 1999. He completed 20 of 29 passes for 222 yards and three touchdowns. Russell led the Bulldogs on three touchdown drives in its first four second half possessions as State scored 21 unanswered points to seal the game. He completed passes to nine different receivers.
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia: Jones had the second-most tackles for the Bulldogs (nie), two sacks, an interception, forced a fumble and had five quarterback pressures during Georgia’s 41-20 victory over Missouri. Jones now has 16.5 sacks over his last 16 games and 24 tackles for loss in that span and is leading the SEC in tackles for loss this season. Jones’ first career interception came midway through the final quarter with the Bulldogs up 27-20 as he managed to grab the pick and return it 21 yards to the Tiger 1-yard line. On Missouri’s next possession, Jones sacked James Franklin for a loss of 11 yards and forced a fumble that the Bulldogs recovered deep in Tiger territory.
SEC Co-OFFENSIVE LINEMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida: Sturgis connected on both of his field goal attempts and accounted for eight points in Florida’s 20-17 win at Texas A&M. He connected on a 51-yard field goal in the second quarter, which closed the Aggies' lead to 17-10 going into halftime. Sturgis extended his school record of 50-plus yard kicks to seven, which is also tops among all active kickers nationally.
SEC Co-DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky: Warford graded out at 91.7 percent with eight knockdown blocks, no penalties and allowed no sacks in Kentucky’s 47-14 win against Kent State. Kentucky's 47 points and 539 yards total offense were the most since 2010.
- A.J. Hawkins, OG, Ole Miss: Hawkins helped the Ole Miss offense rack up 538 total yards, including 332 on the ground, in a 28-10 win over UTEP. He made his 18th career start and second at right guard after playing center and left guard his first three seasons.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
- Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU: Montgomery registered four tackles, one sack (3-yard loss) and 1.5 tackles for loss (4-yard loss) in LSU’s 41-3 win over Washington. He also added three QB hurries as the Tigers held Washington to only 12 first downs and 183 yards of total offense.
- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M: Moore registered 10 total tackles, seven solos, and had three sacks (-21 yards) in Texas A&M’s 20-17 loss to Florida. Moore now leads the nation in sacks per game (3.00) and is fifth in tackles for loss per game (3.00).
- Jalen Mills, CB, LSU: Mills, a true freshman, made his second straight start at cornerback for the Tigers and was second on team with seven tackles to go with first interception of career in 41-3 win over Washington. He added one pass breakup as the Tiger defense dominated the Huskies, holding Washington to just 183 yards of total offense (26 rushing, 157 passing).
For more top performances in the SEC, check out the league's official website.