Monday, September 24, 2012
SEC players of the week
By Edward Aschoff
Here are the SEC players of the week, as announced by the league Monday:
SEC Co-OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas: Hamilton set an SEC record with 303 receiving yards on 10 catches and three touchdowns in Arkansas’ 35-26 loss to Rutgers. The yardage total is the most in NCAAFBS this season and 14th highest in FBS history and the average per catch (30.3) is also an SEC record.
- Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina: Shaw completed 20-of-21 passes for 249 yards and two touchdowns and connected on a school-record 20 consecutive passes in South Carolina’s 31-10 win over Missouri. The completion percentage is a school record and second highest in SEC history. The 20 consecutive passes is second in SEC history and streak is active going into Gamecocks’ next contest (SECrecord: 24 by Tee Martin, Tennessee, 1998).
SEC Co-SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU: Montgomery accounted for four tackles (3 solos) with 3.5 going for losses for minus 14 yards in LSU’s 12-10 win at Auburn. His first tackle-for-loss resulted in a safety and a 2-0 LSU first quarter lead. Included in the 3.5 tackles for loss was a sack for -5 yards. For the game, LSU limited Auburn to only nine first downs and 183 total yards (86 rushing, 97 passing). Auburn’s longest drive of the game went 42 yards and got inside the LSU 25-yard line just twice, one of which came after an LSU fumble that gave Auburn the ball on the LSU 26-yard line.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Ace Sanders, RS, South Carolina: Sanders had six punt returns for 106 yards, including a 49-yard return in South Carolina’s 31-10 win over Missouri. The 49-yard return set up the Gamecocks’ first score of the game. Sanders also had a 23-yard TD scoring catch in the game.
- Dustin Harris, RS, Texas A&M: Harris set a school and SEC record with 246 punt return yards on eight returns in Texas A&M’s 70-14 win over South Carolina State, including a 96-yard return for a score, which is the second-longest in Aggie history.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Aaron Morris, OG, Ole Miss: Morris helped Ole Miss amass 450 total yards, including 304 on the ground, in a 39-0 win at Tulane. The Rebels eclipsed 300 rushing yards for the second time this season. Morris has started all three games at left guard and seven of the last nine dating back to last season.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
- Omar Hunter, DT, Florida: Hunter had a career-high and team-leading eight tackles (three solos) in Florida’s 38-0 win against Kentucky. He helped lead a defensive unit that shut out an SEC opponent for the first time in 11 seasons (since 2001, def. Miss. State, 52-0). The Gator defense allowed just 60 passing yards and held the Wildcats to 4-of-15 on third down conversions.
- Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia: Gurley registered his third career 100-plus-yard game in four contests after carrying the ball 16 times for a career-high 130 yards (8.1 avg.) and two touchdowns during Georgia’s 48-3 win against Vanderbilt. He leads the SEC in rushing (101.5 yards per game), scoring (10.5 points per game) and all-purpose yardage (164.2 yards per game).
Here are some other top performances from the SEC.