Friday, October 5, 2012
Did you know?
By Edward Aschoff
It's time to take a look at some weekly notes from the SEC and ESPN Stats & Information:
Arkansas at Auburn
- Alabama and LSU are tied for the longest active streak of being ranked in the top five of the AP Top 25 poll at 22 weeks each. Georgia is fifth at three weeks.
- Alabama and LSU are tied for the longest active streak of being ranked in the top 10 of the AP Top 25 poll at 23 weeks each. South Carolina is fourth at eight weeks and Georgia tied for fifth (with Florida State) at six weeks.
- On offense, the SEC teams run the ball 56.0 percent of the time, which is the third highest percentage of all FBS conferences. The Mountain West runs the ball 59.6 percent of the time while the Big Ten is at 56.6 percent. In the SEC, teams run the ball an average of 38.1 times per game and pass the ball 29.9 times per game.
- SEC teams are scoring an average of 33.2 points per game, which is third among all FBS conferences. The Big 12 leads the nation at 41.0 points per game and the ACC is second at 33.9 points per game. Last year, the SEC scored at an average of 27.3 points per game, which was the lowest since 2008 (25.6 points per game). After five weeks last season, SEC teams were scoring at a 31.2 points per game clip.
- SEC defenses are allowing an average of 20.86 points per game, which is third among all FBS conferences. The Big Ten leads the nation at 19.84 points per game and the Big East is second at 20.33 points per game. Last year, the SEC defenses gave up an average of 20.7 points per game, which was the lowest since 2008 (20.5). After five weeks last season, SEC teams were giving up an average of 20.0 points per game.
- In nonconference games this season, SEC defenses are allowing 17.03 points per game.
- Arkansas’ Dennis Johnson became the SEC career record holder for kickoff return yardage last week. In his career, he has 2,755 yards (on 115 returns), which surpassed Brandon James of Florida’s total of 2,718 yards (112 returns).
- Zach Mettenberger has completed 60.7 percent of his passes thrown 15 yards or more downfield and has been worse than 50 percent in only one game (Auburn). The Tigers are 13-0 since the start of 2010 when they complete more than 50 percent of their throws of 15 yards or more.
- LSU’s defense has pressured the quarterback on 59 of 161 (36.6 pct) of opponents’ drop-backs this season. Barkevious Mingo leads the Tigers in pressuring the opposing quarterback 13 times. Sam Montgomery is second with eight. Of those 59 plays, 41 of them (69.5 pct) came when the Tigers sent four or fewer pass-rushers.
- Jeff Driskel has at least one rush that gained 20 yards or more in each game this season. Driskel gained two of the four 20-yard runs on bootlegs. For the season, Driskel is averaging 11.1 yards per carry on designed running plays and 9.4 yards per rush on scrambles.
- Georgia already has 11 touchdowns of 30 yards or longer this season which is one fewer than they had all of last season. The Bulldogs have 43 plays that have gained 20 yards or more, six more than any other FBS team.
- Todd Gurley has eight rushes of 20 yards or longer this season, tied for the most in FBS. Fellow freshman, Keith Marshall, has five such runs. Last season no Georgia player had more than six rushes of 20 yards or longer and as a team they had a combined three 20-yard rushing touchdowns. Gurley (four) and Marshall (three) have a combined seven 20-yard rushing touchdowns already this season.
- Georgia has run the ball on 62.8 percent of its first-down plays, averaging 6.9 yards per rush.
- Marcus Lattimore has run for 358 yards and three touchdowns in two games against Georgia in his career. Lattimore is averaging 3.2 yards before contact against Georgia and has more 10-plus yard rushes against the Bulldogs than any other opponent.
- Mississippi State’s opponents have converted a first down on third and at least 7 yards on just 3 of 28 attempts this season (10.7 percent), tied for the lowest percentage in FBS.
- Tyler Russell completed 7 of 9 passes for 143 yards and a touchdown after a play-action fake last year against Kentucky.
Auburn holds an 11-9-1 advantage in the series … Teams have split the last 10 meetings with Arkansas winning four of the last six matchups … Auburn is tied for fourth in the nation in kickoff returns with Onterio McCalebb third in the nation … Tiger linebacker Daren Bates leads the SEC and is tied for fifth in the nation in tackles per game … Arkansas wide receiver Cobi Hamilton is ninth in the nation in receiving yards per game and Dylan Breeding is ninth in the nation in punting … Arkansas ran 98 plays on offense at Texas A&M last week, the most by an SEC team since 2007 and tied for the ninth-highest single-game total in SEC history.
Mississippi State at Kentucky
The Wildcats lead the series with the Bulldogs 21-18 … UK leads 13-7 in games played in Lexington … State is making the trip to Lexington in back-to-back years (State won, 28-16, last year) … Wildcats made the trip to Starkville in back-to-back years in 2001 and 2002 … State has scored 144 points through the first four games, which is the most by a Bulldog team since 1994 … Bulldogs lead nation in turnover margin (3.25 margin) and interceptions per game (2.25) … MSU’s Darius Slay leads nation in interceptions (four) and teammate Johnthan Banks (three) is sixth .. Wildcats’ Avery Williamson is tied for 19th in the nation in tackles per game.
LSU at Florida
Florida leads series with LSU, 30-25-3 … The teams have met every year since 1971 … Since 2000, the teams have split the last 12 meetings … LSU has won the last two meetings, 41-11 last year at LSU, and 33-29, in 2010 at the Swamp … Florida’s last win over LSU came in 2009 at Tiger Stadium (13-3), which is the last loss by LSU at home … Gators are fifth in the nation in pass efficiency defense and 10th in scoring defense … Florida and LSU’s special teams excel -- Gators’ Caleb Sturgis is tied for fifth in the nation in field goals and Kyle Christy is 10th in punting; Tigers’ Brad Wing is 13th in the nation in punting.
Vanderbilt at Missouri
The Tigers lead the series, 2-1-1 … This is the first meeting between the two schools since 1958 (Vandy, 12-8) … The game was the first game at Missouri for then-head coach Dan Devine … Vanderbilt’s Zac Stacy has 2,343 career rushing yards, which is third in school history … His 21 career rushing TDs is fourth in school history … The Tigers, behind Marcus Murphy, are fourth in the nation in punt returns with Murphy seventh … Missouri is also tied for ninth in the nation in tackles for loss per game … Vandy is eighth in the nation in pass defense and Carey Spear is tied for fifth in the nation in field goals per game … Vandy is one of four teams (Florida, Miss. State and Texas A&M) to lead SEC this season in least amount of passing TDs allowed (two).
Texas A&M at Ole Miss
The Aggies lead the series with Rebels, 4-0 … A&M is the third team from state of Texas to play at Ole Miss this season … Rebs looking to break seven-game loss streak in SEC home openers (last win was versus Vanderbilt in 2004) … Texas A&M leads nation in net punting … Aggies defensive end Damontre Moore is second in the nation in tackles for loss per game and tied for second in sacks per game … Texas A&M and Ole Miss are tied for third in SEC with 13 rushing TDs this season (19-UGA; 16-LSU) … A&M is tied for SEC lead in least TDs allowed (five with Alabama and South Carolina).
Georgia at South Carolina
For the first time in the Georgia-South Carolina series, both teams are ranked in the top 10 coming into the matchup … Georgia leads series, 46-16-2, and 19-8-2 in games played at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia … The Gamecocks have won the last two meetings … USC head coach Steve Spurrier is 14-5 lifetime against Georgia while UGA head coach Mark Richt is 7-4 against South Carolina … The Gamecocks have won nine straight games (Florida, Citadel, Clemson, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, East Carolina, UAB, Missouri, Kentucky) dating back to last season. It matches the longest winning streak in school history, set in 1984 … The Bulldogs are second in the nation in passing efficiency, eighth in scoring offense, 11th in rushing offense and 11th in total offense … UGA quarterback Aaron Murray is third in the nation in passing efficiency while freshman tailback Todd Gurley is fifth in kickoff returns, tied for sixth in scoring and tied for 19th in rushing and all-purpose rushing … The Gamecocks are second in the nation in sacks, sixth in scoring defense, seventh in rushing defense, eighth in passing efficiency and tied for ninth in tackles for loss … Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw is 10th in the nation in passing efficiency and defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is tied for 12th in tackles for loss and tied for 18th in sacks.