Monday, October 15, 2012
SEC players of the week
By Edward Aschoff
Here are the players of the week in the SEC as announced by the league Monday:
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: Manziel accounted for an SEC single-game record 576 total offensive yards in Texas A&M’s 59-57 win at Louisiana Tech. His performance bettered his SEC record of 557 yards, set earlier this year against Arkansas. He rushed for 181 yards on 19 carries and three touchdowns and also completed 24 of 40 passes for 395 yards with three more touchdowns and an interception. His 72-yard touchdown run with 2:04 left in the game put the Aggies ahead 59-44. His offensive total is the third-highest ever for an NCAA FBS freshman and he is the first player in SEC history to have more than 500-plus total offensive yards in two games.
SEC Tri-SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama: Mosley accounted for a team-high 12 total tackles with a sack, fumble recovery and QB pressure in Alabama’s 42-10 win at Missouri. The Crimson Tide defense held Mizzou to just 129 total yards (31 in the first half) and just three rushing yards. Mosley’s fumble recovery at the end of the first half ended a drive that had reached the Alabama 9-yard line. Alabama’s defense allowed only a field goal and held Mizzou to six 3-downs-and-out possessions.
SEC Co-OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Zach Hocker, K, Arkansas: Hocker hit all seven of his PAT attempts and had six touchbacks in eight attempts in Arkansas’ 49-7 win against Kentucky.
- Bryson Rose, K, Ole Miss: Rose was 2-for-2 on field goals (39 and 28 yards) and hit all five of his PAT attempts as well as recording three touchbacks in Ole Miss’ 41-20 win against Auburn.
- Cordarrelle Patterson,RS/WR, Tennessee: Patterson tallied 197 all-purpose yards, including a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, in Tennessee’s 41-31 loss at Mississippi State.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
- Jon Halapio, OG, Florida: Halapio graded out a team-high among Gator offensive linemen in Florida’s 31-17 win at Vanderbilt. The Gators rushed for 326 yards, averaging 9.3 yards per rush, most in an SEC game since 2008.
- Tobias Smith, OG, Mississippi State: He graded out at 95 percent with 12 knockdown blocks, despite missing the third quarter due to injury, in Mississippi State’s 41-31 win against Tennessee.
SEC Co-FRESHMEN OF THE WEEK
- Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU: Montgomery had three tackles including two sacks and a forced fumble in LSU’s 23-21 win over No. 3 South Carolina. The Tigers defense limited the Gamecocks to just 34 rushing yards and 211 total yards and held Carolina to just 3-of-13 third down conversions. He had a sack for an 11-yard loss on a third-down attempt for South Carolina late in the fourth quarter to help preserve the LSU victory.
- Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU: Hill tallied career highs in yards (124) and TDs (2) on 17 attempts in LSU’s 23-21 win over No. 3 South Carolina. His 50-yard TD run late in the contest gave the Tigers an insurmountable 23-14 lead. He had 118 yards in the second half and became the first player to go over 100 rushing yards against South Carolina this season.
- Manziel: See above
For more top performances in the SEC, click here.