Thursday, December 6, 2012
Tracking SEC bowl swag
By Edward Aschoff
Bowl games don't just bring players another game for the season. They bring fun, week-long experiences that give players a chance to really unwind before ending the season.
They also bring free stuff -- free stuff that's well within the rules of the NCAA! And who doesn't love free stuff?
The better the bowl, the better the swag.
Alabama players are in for a real treat when they collect their goodies for the Discover BCS National Championship. They, along with Notre Dame players, will receive free Tourneau watches (fancy) and a gift suite, according to the Sports Business Journal.
What is a gift suite you ask? Well, according to the Sports Business Journal it's ...
"Gift suites are set up as private events in which game participants, and often bowl VIPs, are given an order form and allowed to select a gift, or gifts, up to a value that is predetermined by each specific bowl, not to exceed the NCAA limit of $550 per person."
Here's a look at all the swag SEC teams are getting for their bowl games:
Discover BCS National Championship Game
Allstate Sugar Bowl
- Gift suite, Tourneau watch
Capital One Bowl
- Gift suite, Fossil watch, New Era cap, Boxer & Stone hoodie
AT&T Cotton Bowl
- $420 shopping trip to a local Best Buy, Fossil watch
- Fossil watch
- Note: Bowl committee would not disclose additional details about participant gifts, but last year’s gifts included an iPad2 and a Fossil watch.
- $150 Best Buy gift card, Fossil watch, ring, cap, Outback Steakhouse gift card
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl
- $300 gift card, Fossil watch, Russell Athletic Chick-fil-A Bowl hat, Russell Athletic travel bag, Chick-fil-A gift card
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
- Fossil watch, Dome hat, Mercury garment bag and carry-on bag, Jostens ring, football
BBVA Compass Bowl
- Fossil watch, Oakley Dispatch II sunglasses, wireless portable speaker, backpack, football