Thursday, December 20, 2012
JUCO players flock to SEC teams
By Edward Aschoff
Wednesday marked national signing day for junior college players, and the SEC took in its fair share of players this time around.
Ole Miss really took advantage of the JUCO route, by inking a couple of top prospects, including Hinds (Miss.) CC athlete Quadarias Mireles, who is rated the No. 8 JUCO player in the ESPN Junior College 100. Northeast Mississippi CC defensive tackle Lavon Hooks, who is the No. 15 JUCO prospect, signed with the Rebels on Thursday. Hinds (Miss.) CC wide receiver Zach Witchett (No. 18) is committed to the Rebles, and The Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger reported this week that former wide receiver standout Nickolas Brassell is re-enrolling at Ole Miss after going the JUCO route for a year due to academic issues. He's rated the No. 32 JUCO prospect. East Mississippi CC defensive tackle Jarran Reed is also committed to Ole Miss.
Hooks signed with Ole Miss on Thursday, ending a very intense recruiting between Ole Miss and serval other schools. Hooks was an NJCAA honorable mention All-American, after registering 51 tackles, 9.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries in nine games this season. He was second in the country with 20.5 tackles for loss.
Arkansas also did very well when it came to signing junior college players. The headliners of this JUCO class are College of the Siskiyous (Calif.) outside linebacker Myke Tavarres, who ranks 65th overall, and Hartnell (Calif.) CC cornerback Carroll Washington, who ranks 68th. Four top 100 JUCO players have either signed or currently committed to the Razorbacks' staff.
Texas A&M signed three of the top 100 prospects, including Butler (Kan.) CC outside linebacker Tommy Sanders (No. 33), while Georgia signed Holmes (Miss.) CC wide receiver Jonathan Rumph (No. 7). Florida signed East Mississippi CC defensive tackle Darious Cummings (No. 31) and Georgia Military College offensive tackle Trenton Brown (No. 67).
Here's a list of the current JUCO commitments and signees for SEC teams:
- Leon Brown, OT, ASA (N.Y.) College (ranked No. 17 in the ESPN Junior College 100)
- Myke Tavarres, OLB, College of the Siskiyous (Calif.) (No. 65)
- Carroll Washington, CB, Hartnell (Calif.) CC (No. 68)
- Martell Spaight, OLB, Coffeyville (Kan.) CC (No. 84)
- Mitchell Bell, OG, Navarro (Texas) CC (No. 100)
- Tiquention Coleman, S, Georgia Military College
- John McClure, OT, Butler (Kan.) CC
- Darious Cummings, DT, East Mississippi CC (No. 31)
- Trenton Brown, OT, Georgia Military College (No. 67)
- Quadarius Mireles, ATH, Hinds (Miss.) CC (No. 8 )
- Lavon Hooks, DT, Northeast Mississippi CC (No. 15)
- Zach Witchett, WR, Hinds (Miss.) CC (No. 18)
- Nickolas Brassell, WR, East Mississippi CC (No. 32)
- Jarran Reed, DT, East Mississippi CC