Tuesday, August 6, 2013
The SEC's best 25 players: No. 15
By Edward Aschoff
The next player on our countdown of the SEC's best 25 players was so good down the stretch for his team that he inspired a song that had the Internet buzzing in 2012.
No. 15: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss, Jr.
2012 summary: Moncrief led the Rebels with 66 catches for 979 yards and 10 touchdowns. He finished the 2012 season with four 100-yard games and caught seven passes for a career-high 173 yards and three touchdowns in the win against Mississippi State in Ole Miss' season finale.
Most recent ranking: Not ranked in the 2012 postseason countdown.
Making the case for Moncrief: Talk about one of the SEC's most underrated players from last season. Moncrief wasn't an All-SEC member by the coaches or the media, but he ended the year playing like one of the league's best players. During the Rebels' final five games of the 2012 season, Moncrief caught 27 passes for 439 yards and five touchdowns. At 6-foot-3 and 226 pounds, Moncrief is a physical mismatch for most defensive backs. Plus, he has great range and speed. He'll battle anyone for high passes -- and he usually wins with his height and strength. He has great speed, but he also made a lot of plays in the open field last year because of his ability to win a lot of one-on-one matchups with defensive backs. Five of Moncrief's 10 touchdowns from a year ago came on plays that were longer than 50 yards. Having that combination of speed and physical ability makes Moncrief one of the most dynamic playmakers in the SEC. More people certainly know about Moncrief this year, but that won't stop the Rebels from feeding him this fall.
- No. 16: Dominique Easley, DT, Florida, Sr.
- No. 17: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M, RSo.
- No. 18: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State, Sr.
- No. 19: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama, Jr.
- No. 20: Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas, Sr.
- No. 21: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia, So.
- No. 22: Craig Loston, S, LSU, Sr.
- No. 23: Andre Hal, CB, Vanderbilt, Sr.
- No. 24: Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia, So.
- No. 25: Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida, Jr.