Tuesday, December 10, 2013
SEC lunchtime links
By David Ching
We're still 11 days from the first bowls, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about them. Here's some bowl chatter – and some other stuff – from across the SEC.
- Check out the gift bounty that will be available to the players for participating in the various bowl games.
- Auburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes says tackle Greg Robinson could become the No. 1 overall NFL draft pick if he opts to stay for his senior season.
- Missouri takes pride in its quick SEC rise.
- Monday was a full day for Alabama's AJ McCarron, who won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award and was named one of six Heisman Trophy finalists along with Auburn's Tre Mason, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, Florida State's Jameis Winston, Northern Illinois' Jordan Lynch and Boston College's Andre Williams.
- A Heisman repeat seems unlikely for Manziel, but he will make the trip to New York this weekend for the trophy presentation ceremony.
- Athlon gives us five reasons why Auburn will beat Florida State for the BCS title.
- Missouri's Michael Sam was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year on Monday (plus full All-SEC team list).
- South Carolina's All-SEC defensive end Jadeveon Clowney was ticketed for driving 110 in a 70-mph zone on Saturday.
- Oklahoma's players are reveling in their Sugar Bowl draw against Alabama.
- The Times-Picayune's Ron Higgins writes that at the Outback Bowl, LSU needs a good day, mate.
- In off-field Iron Bowl drama, defensive back Kalvaraz Bessent flipped his commitment from Alabama to Auburn on Monday.
- Closing the book on Georgia in the BCS era.
- Liberty Bowl director Steve Ehrhart concluded his official proposal to Mississippi State with the phrase, “Ring those cowbells,” and Bulldogs fans will most certainly oblige.
- Newly minted SEC Freshman of the Year Alex Collins highlighted Bret Bielema's first recruiting class at Arkansas.