Thursday, January 16, 2014
The SEC dominates Kiper Mock Draft 1.0
By Edward Aschoff
As this year's NFL draft creeps closer, we'll look more in depth at this crop of NFL talent in the coming weeks and months. ESPN NFL draft guru Mel Kiper is helping us out with his Mock Draft 1.0.
And if you're wondering why all that SEC talent bolted for the NFL, Kiper has the answer: So many players are projected to go in the first round in 2014. Real shocker, I know.
Of the 32 first-round picks, Kiper has 10 SEC players making the cut, including in the first three picks. Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is projected by Kiper to go first to the Houston Texans, while Aggies left tackle Jake Matthews is listed as going second overall to the St. Louis Rams (from Washington).
Right behind them? Yep, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, who is projected to go to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
It looks like it's going to be another successful draft for the SEC. Here are where all 10 SEC players are projected to go, according to Kiper:
1. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M -- Houston Texans
2. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M -- St. Louis Rams
3. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina -- Jacksonville Jaguars
9. Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn -- Buffalo Bills
12. C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama -- New York Giants
13. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M -- St. Louis Rams
17. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama -- Dallas Cowboys
19. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama -- Miami Dolphins
27. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee -- New Orleans Saints
30. Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU -- San Francisco 49ers