Monday, May 5, 2014
SEC lunchtime links
By David Ching
A look at what's happening around the SEC:
- It's NFL draft week, which should once again serve as a showcase for the talent that has helped the SEC remain the top conference in college football. The three-day event begins Thursday evening, and several SEC players will be in New York City that night to celebrate when they are picked in the first round.
- Speaking of the draft, numerous players from the SEC rank among the top offensive prospects waiting to hear their names called on Thursday night and beyond.
- South Carolina's Bruce Ellington isn't listed among those top prospects, but he also hopes to find a professional home by the end of the weekend, ending several months of work toward becoming a draft pick.
- Texas A&M's Jake Matthews is ready to carry on his family's legacy in the pros.
- Cancer survivor -- and sophomore offensive lineman at Auburn -- Shon Coleman will announce a pick at the draft this week.
- By now we've all heard about Jacob Coker transferring in from Florida State, but what happened with three quarterbacks -- Phillip Sims, Luke Del Rio and Phillip Ely -- who transferred away from Alabama? AL.com's Michael Casagrande takes a look.
- Condolences to Florida coach Will Muschamp, whose father, Larry, died late last week and was honored at a memorial service on Sunday.
- Arkansas seems to be finalizing the pieces on its offensive line.
- Over the weekend. The Tennessean's Jeff Lockridge took a look at where SEC teams stood after spring practices.