Friday, May 9, 2014
Looking ahead to Day 2 in the draft
By Chris Low
Day 1 of the NFL draft was a good one for the SEC, which had 11 players selected in the first round, including 10 of the first 23 picks.
It's on to the second and third rounds later Friday night, and several more SEC players are sure to hear their names called. A year ago, the SEC had 32 players selected in the top three rounds.
The SEC guys projected to go the earliest when the draft resumes Friday night, in alphabetical order, are Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy, South Carolina receiver Bruce Ellington, Alabama offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio and Vanderbilt receiver Jordan Matthews.
Ellington has seen his stock soar in the months leading up to the draft, and Matthews has everything it takes (size, speed, hands, smarts and character) to be one of those receivers who plays 10-plus seasons in the league.
Here's a checklist of some other SEC players to keep an eye on in the second and third rounds:
- DT Ego Ferguson, LSU
- CB Vic Hampton, South Carolina
- RB Jeremy Hill, LSU
- DT Anthony Johnson, LSU
- RB Tre Mason, Auburn
- QB AJ McCarron, Alabama
- DT Dan McCullers, Tennessee
- QB Zach Mettenberger, LSU
- WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss
- QB Aaron Murray, Georgia
- OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State
- WR Jarvis Landry, LSU
- S Craig Loston, LSU
- WR Kevin Norwood, Alabama
- DT Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina
- CB Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida
- OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
- CB Marcus Roberson, Florida
- DE Chris Smith, Arkansas
- DE Ed Stinson, Alabama
- OG Trai Turner, LSU
- CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida