Monday, January 25, 2010
Lunchtime links: Phillips narrowing down class
By Chris Low
Kicking off the week with some SEC happenings:
- Kentucky coach Joker Phillips is trying to be judicious with his last few scholarships, citing defensive line and receiver as positions of need.
- Tim Tebow arrives at the Senior Bowl with a stated goal. He says, "I'm here to be an NFL quarterback."
- After a brief suspension, South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders is back for the spring.
- Georgia's newest safety, Jakar Hamilton, hits the ground running, writes David Hale of The Macon Telegraph.
- Florida adds a quarterback in this recruiting class. Tyler Murphy, who had committed to Temple in January, got an offer from the Gators on Sunday and switched his pledge.
- Coaching shuffles put Tennessee's athletic budget in the red last year.
- LSU running back Charles Scott, who broke his collarbone during the season, isn't medically cleared to play in the Senior Bowl and is replaced by Alabama's Roy Upchurch.