Monday, June 23, 2014
SEC lunchtime links
By Alex Scarborough
What an "Ugly Tie" and a "Kick in the Gut." This morning's newspapers told the story of last night's debacle by the U.S. men's national soccer team, letting a win over Portugal slip away in the final seconds of the World Cup.
And because this is the SEC blog and there's always a tie-in to college football, this meme of Nick Saban popped up on Twitter following the 2-2 draw.
- The Gainesville Sun has begun its countdown of the top 25 players in the SEC. No. 22 -- a talented yet inexperienced offensive lineman from the SEC West -- might surprise you.
- Meanwhile the good folks at al.com have their own spin on the offseason top 25 countdown. Instead of looking at only players, they're focusing in on the 25 most important people around each program. No. 15 for Alabama is a top-ranked running back who got away and ended up at LSU. No. 15 for Auburn is defensive lineman Gabe Wright, the creator of an important team motto.
- Remember Stephen Garcia? Of course you do. Well, he's back. We're not sure exactly what his role will be, but the former South Carolina quarterback is joining the media ranks as a new voice for Saturday Down South.
- Steve Spurrier doesn't have to lock himself in his office to do the job of leading South Carolina. He doesn't want to "grind on football" for 11 months a year. Instead, he tries to work smart rather than outwork.
- The Third Saturday in October is getting another layer of intrigue as former Tide tailback Alvin Kamara announced on Saturday that he's committed to play for Butch Jones at Tennessee. The former four-star prospect who redshirted last season at Alabama is expected to play this season at a junior college.
- Opie Dimmick, Al Coffee and Booger McFarland highlight LSU's All-Name Team, as designed by Jim Kleinpeter of NOLA.com.