Friday, August 1, 2014
SEC lunchtime links
By Alex Scarborough
When Auburn opens fall camp this afternoon, it will do so with a reminder of their former teammate, Philip Lutzenkirchen.
- Who will be Auburn's next breakout star? The beat writers at AL.com debated, and came up with wide receiver D'haquille Williams and defensive back Derek Moncrief.
- Who, on the other hand, will start at cornerback for Alabama? AL.com's other tandem of beat writers tackled the subject, and Bradley Sylve seemed to be a popular choice.
- College football coaches, have you learned nothing? A year after sleeping on Missouri and then seeing it win the SEC East, the Tigers were left off of the preseason Amway Coaches Poll.
- Mississippi State went under the lights for its first practice of fall camp. Coach Dan Mullen spoke with reporters afterward about what he saw.
- Tee Shepard, who flipped from Mississippi State to Ole Miss on national signing day, has been cleared by the NCAA to join the Rebs. The former four-star prospect was part of a 2014 Class that was ranked 17th by ESPN.
- As Derek Mason begins his first season at Vanderbilt, the first-time head coach is doing it his way. Where James Franklin wore a chip on his shoulder, Mason instead wants his team to ignore the outside talk.