Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Tennessee releases coaching salaries
By ESPN.com staff
First-year Tennessee coach Derek Dooley will earn $1.8 million in 2010, according to figures released Tuesday by the university.
His predecessor, Lane Kiffin, made $2 million last season before leaving for the Southern California job.
Tennessee also released the salaries for Dooley's staff. The entire football coaching salary pool for this staff, including Dooley, will total $4,525,000 -- which is $1.1 million less than the Vols paid their previous staff.
The salary pool for Kiffin and his staff last season totaled $5,625,000, which included defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin's $1.5 million salary (counting a $300,000 payment he pocketed in December) and recruiting coordinator/defensive line coach Ed Orgeron's $650,000 salary.
Here's the breakdown of the annual salaries for Tennessee's new staff:
- Derek Dooley, head coach, 6 years, $1,800,000
- Charlie Baggett, assistant head coach/receivers, 3 years, $375,000
- Jim Chaney, offensive coordinator/running backs, 3 years, $425,000
- Harry Hiestand, offensive line, 2 years, $200,000
- Darin Hinshaw, quarterbacks, 2 years, $150,000
- Terry Joseph, recruiting coordinator/secondary, 2 years, $175,000
- Eric Russell, special teams/tight ends, 2 years, $200,000
- Chuck Smith, defensive line, 2 years, $225,000
- Lance Thompson, linebackers, 3 years, $375,000
- Justin Wilcox, defensive coordinator, 3 years, $600,000