SEC: Kirk Merritt
How about that World Cup match yesterday? Germany 7, Brazil 1. As our esteemed colleague Chris Low tweeted yesterday -- he just started his own Twitter account, so follow him here -- “And we thought the defenses were down in the SEC last season.”
- Today's college football award watch lists feature the kickers. The SEC has three of the 30 players on the list for the Groza Award, which goes to the top place-kicker, and three of the 25 on the list for the Ray Guy Award, which goes to the top punter.
- The price for nonconference home “guarantee” games seems to be rising everywhere, and Kentucky is no different. The Wildcats will pay a total of more than $2 million for its games against Tennessee-Martin, Louisiana-Monroe and Ohio this season.
- Willie T. Smith writes in the Greenville News that South Carolina could face a challenging season after losing so much talent from its 2013 club.
- College football's largest video board is now complete at Texas A&M's Kyle Field.
- Former LSU stars Kevin Mawae and Jacob Hester will be the featured performers on the Tigers' ESPN College GameDay-style show that will air each Saturday during the season.
- Eleven players from Mississippi are listed in the ESPN Junior 300, including several players who have already committed to join Ole Miss' 2016 signing class.
- Former Ole Miss stars Deuce McAllister, Doug Cunningham and Archie Manning will be among the deserving honorees at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony this month, writes Rick Cleveland in the Biloxi Sun-Herald.
- Former Vanderbilt running back Cassen Jackson-Garrison, now a police officer in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, was released from the hospital on Tuesday after being injured in a wreck on Sunday.
- Texas A&M's famed Junction Boys will hold their 60th reunion next month in, where else, Junction, Texas.
- Kirk Merritt became the third Louisianan in four years to win the SPARQ testing championship at The Opening on Tuesday. Will he follow previous winners from his state -- Speedy Noil (Texas A&M) and Landon Collins (Alabama) -- in playing college football outside of his home state?
- Former Florida players like Shane Matthews and Doug Johnson are impressed with what new offensive coordinator Kurt Roper brings to the Gators' offense.