SEC: Tig Barksdale
May, 19, 2010
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
A closer look at what's making headlines around the SEC:
- Alabama coach Nick Saban doesn't expect any relief next season in terms of the schedule being tweaked to reduce the number of teams the Crimson Tide have to face coming off bye weeks. Six of the eight SEC teams Alabama plays in 2010 will be coming off bye weeks.
- Alabama reserve quarterback Star Jackson is considering a transfer to Georgia State, which plays the Crimson Tide next season.
- Receiver Patrick Patterson is close to rejoining the Ole Miss football team following his spring suspension, but the chances of defensive back Tig Barksdale returning aren't as promising, reports David Brandt of The Jackson Clarion-Ledger.
- Former Mississippi State coach Jackie Sherrill's case against the NCAA plods along, writes Kyle Veazey of The Jackson Clarion-Ledger.
- Tennessee coach Derek Dooley says he's not into spreading "doom and gloom" during his booster club speaking stop in Columbia, S.C.
- Kentucky lands a commitment from Paducah, Ky., receiver Josh Forrest.
April, 2, 2010
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Some SEC links to wrap up the week with:
- Georgia coach Mark Richt is aware of the police report that's out there and the allegations that some of the Bulldogs' football players threatened and hit a couple in a taxi cab last weekend.
- Don Kausler Jr. has a touching story about Alabama defensive end Marcell Dareus and all he's overcome in his life to get to this point.
- The bronze statue of Nick Saban is coming to Alabama's Walk of Champions plaza in August.
- Ole Miss safety Tig Barksdale has been suspended from the team for the rest of the spring, and coach Houston Nutt said Barksdale's future with the program is in jeopardy.
- There's no indication that running back Bryce Brown will rejoin on Tennessee's team, and it doesn't sound like he would be welcomed back by some of the players.
- Ellis Johnson, South Carolina's assistant head coach for the defense, looks past all the hype, writes Joseph Person of The State newspaper.
- Brandon Marcello of The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette chats with first-year defensive ends coach Steve Caldwell.
11:00 AM ET Nevada Louisiana-Lafayette 2:20 PM ET Utah State UTEP 3:30 PM ET 22 Utah Colorado State 5:45 PM ET Western Michigan Air Force 9:15 PM ET South Alabama Bowling Green
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State