AP Photo/Carlos Osorio
Ilya Bryzgalov's wince-inducing flexibilty between the pipes is a major reason why the Coyotes are staring at an historic series win.
Tonight's Game 7 between the Phoenix Coyotes and the Detroit Red Wings (9 ET) has all the makings of a real David and Goliath story. Even though Phoenix finished five points ahead of Detroit in the regular season standings, the franchise has not advanced to the second round of the playoffs since 1987, and that was when they were the Winnipeg Jets. In the other corner, the Red Wings are making their 19th consecutive playoff appearance, which included hoisting their 11th Stanley Cup Finals win in 2008.
Considering Phoenix's previous ownership forced the team into bankruptcy last year while Wayne Gretzky walked away as head coach nine games before the start of the season, you'd think the Coyotes would get a special trophy just for showing up. Now they're on the brink of the first NHL conference semifinals for the city of Phoenix. So in the spirit of win-or-go-home hockey, let's test your hockey knowledge with this quiz. You have ten minutes before it self-destructs. Answers are at the bottom and no peeking ... okay, go!
1. Shane Doan was drafted by which NHL team?
a) New York Rangers
b) Vancouver Canucks
c) Quebec Nordiques
d) Winnipeg Jets
2. What's the name of the Coyotes' mascot?
3. True or False, former Detroit executive Marguerite Norris was the first woman to have her name engraved on the Stanley Cup.
4. Including Detroit's Mike Babcock, how many former McGill University players have coached in the NHL?
5. Which one of these players does NOT have a retired number honored by the Coyotes:
a) Teppo Numminen
b) Dale Hawerchuk
c) Bobby Hull
d) Pat Elynuik
6. How many professional teams has Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidström played for?
7. Which Coyote scored the most points during the regular season?
a) Shane Doan
b) Matthew Lombardi
c) Wojtek Wolski
d) Lee Stempniak
8. Which one of these animals are part of a wild coyote's main diet?
9. Who is leading the Red Wings in points during this series?
a) Johan Franzen
b) Brad Stuart
c) Niklas Kronwall
d) Henrik Zetterberg
10. Which one of these names has the franchise never called home ice?
a) US Airways Center
b) Jobing.com Arena
c) Winnipeg Arena
d) America West Arena
1. d, Winnipeg Jets
2. b, Howler
3. a, True
4. b, 3
5. d, Pat Elynuik
6. b, two, including VIK Västerås HK
7. c, Wojtek Wolski
8. b, rabbits
9. d, Henrik Zetterberg
10. a, US Airways Center (the Coyotes moved into Jobing.com Arena while US Airways Center was still America West Arena)
Tags: Haha, NHL, Phoenix Coyotes, Wayne Gretzky, Shane Doan, Jimmy Howard, Detroit Red Wings, Nicklas Lidstrom, Teppo Numminen, Henrik Zetterberg, Ilya Bryzgalov, NHL Playoffs, Winnipeg Jets, Mathieu Schneider, Pat Elynuik, Wojtek Wolski, Lee Stempniak, Johan Franzen, Brad Stuart, Niklas Kronwall