The votes are in and it's a unanimous decision: this haircut does not work for Brian Cushing.
Brian Cushing may want to invest in a neuralizer or set up an appointment at Lacuna Inc., because his 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year award may just be a painful memory by week's end. On top of being suspended for the first four games of the 2010 NFL season for violating the league's anti-doping policy, the Texans linebacker has been stripped of his Defensive Rookie of the Year award by the Associated Press. However, there is a silver-lining for Cushing -- the AP is taking a revote and Cushing is once again included on the ballot. We know what your thinking James Cameron, and the answer is no, the AMPAS (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences) don't offer that option.
The deadline to revote is today at 12 (ET). For the Houston Chronicle's John McClain, the vote was easy. "I voted for Cushing for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award the day after the season, and I voted for him again today. Why? Because a lot of players have won AP awards after being suspended," said McClain. This McClain should not to be confused with this McClane, but there's a very real chance he yelled "Yippee-ki-yay" after rocking his vote.
Last time around Cushing received 39 of the 50 votes from sportswriters and broadcasters on the AP panel and ran away with the award. Buffalo safety Jarius Byrd finished a not-so-close second with six votes. According to McClain he's already off to a 1-0 start. Win or lose, there's still many questions that need answering:
- Should Cushing win again, will he be "represented" with the award? If that happens, we'd like to nominate that ceremony for Awkward Award Presentation of the Year immediately.
- If Cushing loses the revote, do these shirts become collectors items and what will they fetch on eBay? If he wins again, will Reebok re-issue the tee as "Brian Cushing, two-time Defensive Rookie of the Year?"
- If Byrd should somehow emerge victorious, will there be an actual award's ceremony or will the trophy just be sent in the mail?
- Should fantasy owners who won IDP (individual defensive players) leagues while owning Cushing last year have to forfeit their titles?
- Is fellow Texans linebacker DeMeco Ryans secretly rooting against Cushing in hopes of reclaiming his title as the only Houston Texan to ever win the Defensive Rookie of the Year award?