November 29, 2009 3:00 PM ET
Photo: Getty Images
Culter and Favre both keep their guns loaded but only one has been shooting accurately this year.
For NFL QBs, the branding of "gunslinger" implies a big arm and a propensity to use it, even if the odds are stacked against you. Today's Bears-Vikings match-up features an intriguing contrast of extremes as the two QBs have spent the better part of this season demonstrating the best and worst that comes with having a 'slinger at the helm.
On the other side of the equation sits Wild
So, all things considered, this game feels like it's a little bit of a passing of the gunslinger torch. Hopefully the moment will be commemorated appropriately but we doubt it. Here's how we’d celebrate the occasion:
- Cutler Ponchos: Maybe we can put a #6 on the front and a #314 on the back?
- Favre & Cutler Lithograph: A signed and dated lithograph with Cutler and Favre dressed in full wild-west attire including bullet-belts.
- T-Shirt Gun Standoff: At halftime, Favre and Cutler draw and fire t-shirts at one another to see who’s got the fastest hand in the land. Don't worry, they will remain fully padded so this won't be an injury risk.
- The Three Amigos Redux: Favre, Cutler and Matthew Stafford (tied with Wild Jay for the league INT lead) play the parts of Chase, Martin and Short as they fire footballs at Tom "El Guapo" Brady.
- Cacti Field: Remove the turf in Minnesota and let these guys play on the rocky plains of the old-west filled with cacti and have the occasional horse crossing. Suddenly, playing through "the elements" takes on a bigger meaning.