Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Poll results: Rams fans want Watkins
By Nick Wagoner
It's no secret that some positions simply don't have the same appeal as others in this era of fantasy football. So it shouldn't be a surprise that when I asked you, the reader, to make a choice for the Rams should they have to stay at the No. 2 overall pick, you chose a wide receiver.
In Monday's poll, we asked this question of SportsNation: If the Rams do NOT trade the No. 2 pick, what player would you want them to draft if all were available?
The options included South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson, Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews and the all encompassing "someone else."
More than 2,000 of you casted a vote and Watkins emerged as the clear winner, bringing in more than 40 percent of the vote. Clowney finished well behind with Robinson hot on his heels. Matthews, perhaps the most NFL ready of the group, was further behind in fourth and the anonymous someone else was a distant fifth, presumably from those who want a quarterback or a linebacker like Buffalo's Khalil Mack or UCLA's Anthony Barr.
Some notes from looking at the map breakdown of state by state voting:
- Missouri and California were the two states with the largest voting contingencies and both went for Watkins fairly comfortably.
- The sample sizes were relatively small but Clowney was the winner in Maine, New Jersey and Kentucky.
- In South Carolina, where Watkins and Clowney are both fan favorites, only about 25 votes came in but the Clemson supporters outmuscled the Gamecocks fans.
- Robinson is apparently a big hit in New Mexico and South Dakota, where he was the favorite. Who knew that Walter White Jr. and Jesse Pinkman are War Eagle all the way?
- Matthews didn't win but one state but he claimed two of the three votes coming from Hawaii at the time of this writing. If Matthews becomes a Ram and makes it to a Pro Bowl, he owes those two people an autograph.
As I mentioned in the original poll, I would go with the majority here and vote for Watkins with Robinson and Clowney right behind. The Rams really can't go wrong with any of the four players named in this poll and if the Rams do what I believe they'd like to do and trade down, adding extra picks and still landing one of these players would make for a strong first night in May.