Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Tuesday Rams' depth chart musings
By Nick Wagoner
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As always, the following is a break down of the Rams' unofficial depth chart. The names in certain places are subject to being different come game time. Use the information as a baseline for what to expect when the Rams play the Falcons but it is far from a guarantee.
This week's unofficial Rams depth chart doesn't look too different from last week's. With that in mind, we won't go through the trouble of breaking down every position and how they might look this week. Instead, let's just focus on a couple of quick hits.
- All of the 22 starters listed are exactly the same as last week. Rodney McLeod is again listed at free safety and Chris Williams at left guard. It's how the Rams had them last week and it's how things played out in the game.
- Isaiah Pead has been added to the mix at running back and back in his familiar spot as the second back on the depth chart. When asked whether Pead would play this week on Monday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said "we'll see." The Rams didn't get much production in the run game and Zac Stacy got the only carry among backs not named Daryl Richardson. Fisher said he wants to see more of Stacy. Could that mean less Richardson to make room for some carries for Pead and Stacy? One other thing we'll monitor this week is Richardson's health. Although he finished the game against Arizona, he did spend some time being looked at by Rams' medical personnel on the sideline. There are a lot of moving parts to the team's running back situation right now.
- Speaking of which, the Rams list Stacy third and Benny Cunningham and Chase Reynolds in a sort of "tie" for fourth now that Pead is back in the second spot.
- Cunningham was listed as the starting kick returner last week and he remains in the top spot this week after handling those duties against the Cardinals. Tavon Austin and Chris Givens remain behind Cunningham on that list. Again, because it's unofficial, that doesn't mean Pead won't get work as a kick returner this week but that's how it looks for whatever it's worth.
- Obviously, linebacker Jonathan Stewart's name has been subtracted from the linebacker group upon his released Tuesday. Ray-Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates are the only remaining linebackers behind the starters. There is no backup listed for starting middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.
- Nothing else has changed from last week. One more friendly reminder that the depth chart musings are based on an unofficial depth chart the Rams put out weekly. Use whatever amount of salt you deem appropriate when reading.