Stanford weekend rewind
October, 3, 2011
By Kevin Gemmell | ESPN.com
There were a lot of questions being asked going into this game -- and the Stanford Cardinal answered most of them. It was a superb performance by the offense and a good enough effort by the defense that UCLA's pistol offense never really got cranking on the ground. Here's a look back at some of the highs and lows of Stanford's 45-19 win over the Bruins.
- Highlight reel: Take your pick. Andrew Luck's one-handed catch? Coby Fleener's one-handed catch? Any/all plays from the defensive goal line stand in the first quarter? It was a night for good plays. But yes, it goes to Luck, whose one-handed grab would have been sensational if he were a wide receiver, but is all the more impressive because he's a quarterback.
- Best play: The highlights weren't just from the guys in red (or in Saturday's case, black). UCLA tight end Joseph Fauria looked awfully athletic when he leaped over Michael Thomas on his 13-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter. Give credit where credit is due, that was a pretty sweet play.
- Who's hot: Fleener turned in another outstanding performance from a tight end. Each game, one of the Big Three could be the star. Saturday, it was Fleener, who caught four balls for 78 yards and two touchdowns.
- Who's hotter: Running back Stepfan Taylor followed up his career performance against Arizona with 112 rushing yards and two touchdowns against the Bruins. He's as hot as any running back in the conference -- maybe even the country -- in the last couple of games.
- Who's icy: Stanford coach David Shaw, who no doubt probably shot his players some chilly looks as he saw the penalties pile on. The Cardinal were flagged eight times for 70 yards.
- The good: The Cardinal looked super-sharp on offense coming out of the bye week and got the fast start they'd been lacking in the previous three games.
- The bad: No more bye weeks. It's grind time from now until Notre Dame. Pray for us.
CARDINALNATION RECRUITING NEWS
STANFORD FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Rose Bowl Game Mascot T-Shirt
- Coach Mike Sanford retweeted
- David Shaw retweeted
- Stepfan Taylor retweeted
- Stanford Daily Sport retweeted
- Mike Eubanks retweeted
2014 Pac-12 STANDINGS
7:30 PM ET Idaho State Utah 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State 10:30 PM ET Weber State Arizona State
9:00 PM ET Colorado State Colorado 10:30 PM ET UNLV Arizona
12:00 PM ET UCLA Virginia 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 4:00 PM ET Portland State Oregon State 4:00 PM ET UC Davis Stanford 7:30 PM ET Fresno State USC 10:30 PM ET Washington Hawaii 10:30 PM ET South Dakota Oregon