Stanford weekend rewind
October, 10, 2011
By Kevin Gemmell | ESPN.com
Well, that was easy. For a second there, the Stanford Cardinal almost trailed in a football game. What a coup that would have been. Highlight plays provided by Andrew Luck, Griff Whalen and a stiff defense. There was even an interception and a special-teams touchdown. Not a bad week for the Cardinal, who continue to win, yet continue to drop in polls. Here's a look back at some of the highs and lows of Stanford's 48-7 win over Colorado.
- Highlight reel: No question here. Max Bergen going untouched through the line on Colorado's field goal attempt was highlight worthy. Bergen extended, blocked the 29-yard attempt, took the one-hopper and then ran it 75 yards for a touchdown. It was a fantastic play and a great effort from the defense, which was forced on the field sooner than expected when the Cardinal fumbled away the opening kickoff.
- Best play: Luck's third-and-26 pass to Whalen, which went for 27 yards, was stellar on both ends. Luck kept the play alive with his feet and whipped a bullet to Whalen, who stayed with his route and helped the Cardinal pick up the first down and eventually the touchdown. Whalen was brought down at the 1-yard line, but eventually found the end zone later in the game. Which leads us to ...
- ... Who's hot: The aforementioned Whalen had a breakout game. He was targeted four times by Luck and caught all four passes for 92 yards and a score. It was his first touchdown of the season and a validation that Luck can look to another wide receiver other than Chris Owusu if he needs to make a play.
- Who's not: Not a bad game from kicker Jordan Williamson, but anytime you miss a PAT, you get on the cold list -- even if you make the other six. He also missed his first field goal attempt of the season, a 47-yarder. Anything over 40 yards is 50-50 in the college game, and when you start going over 45, it gets dicey. He had the leg for it; he just missed wide right. To his credit, he did make a tackle on a kickoff.
- The good: The Cardinal have won their last nine home games and the nation's longest win streak extends to 13 games and counting.
- The bad: Personal fouls popped up for the second straight week; three of them this time. Luck called them "boneheaded." That about sums it up.
CARDINALNATION RECRUITING NEWS
STANFORD FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Rose Bowl Game Mascot T-Shirt
- Shayne Skov retweeted
- Chase Thomas retweeted
2013 Pac-12 STANDINGS
7:30 PM ET Idaho State Utah 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State 10:30 PM ET Weber State Arizona State
9:00 PM ET Colorado State Colorado 10:30 PM ET UNLV Arizona
TBD California Northwestern 12:00 PM ET UCLA Virginia 4:00 PM ET Portland State Oregon State 4:00 PM ET UC Davis Stanford 7:30 PM ET Fresno State USC 10:30 PM ET Washington Hawaii 10:30 PM ET South Dakota Oregon