Did you know: Stanford vs. Notre Dame
November, 25, 2011
By Kevin Gemmell | ESPN.com
Some fun facts heading into tomorrow's matchup between Stanford and Notre Dame.
- This is the 15th straight year that these teams have met. Stanford has won the past two meetings, which is the Cardinal’s longest streak in the series. Last year’s 37-14 win was also Stanford’s largest ever victory margin in the series.
- Notre Dame still has an outside shot at a BCS bowl bid this season, but history is not on the side of the Irish. Notre Dame needs to upset Stanford and then finish in the top 14 of the final BCS Standings. Currently Notre Dame is 22nd. Since the BCS Standings began ranking 25 teams in 2003, only four times has a team made a jump of at least eight spots in a week, and each of those jumps came within the first three weeks of the standings.
- Notre Dame has won four straight, but the competition hasn’t been stellar. The combined records of Notre Dame’s past four opponents is 15-29 (Navy, Wake Forest, Maryland, Boston College).
- Notre Dame started this season 0-2. If the Irish can win one of their final two games (including bowl), they will have nine wins in a season in which they started 0-2 for just the second time in school history. In 1978, they were 0-2 before winning nine of their final 10 games to finish 9-3, including a thrilling Cotton Bowl win against Houston.
- While this game has no bearing on the Pac-12 standings, it’s still possible for Stanford to clinch the Pac-12 North if Oregon loses to Oregon State on Saturday.
- Stanford is looking for its second straight season of at least 11 wins (won 12 last season). Prior to 2010, Stanford had never won 11 games in a season.
- Could this be the last regular season game for Stanford’s Andrew Luck? Possible, unless Oregon State can knock off Oregon on Saturday. Luck has thrown at least two touchdown passes in 14 straight games dating to last season.
- Luck has 76 career touchdown passes and continues to move up the school charts. He’s currently one behind John Elway’s record. Luck also needs one touchdown pass to tie the single-season record he set last season.
- Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd is seven catches shy of breaking Golden Tate’s school record of 93 in a season. Floyd has 87, including 10 last week against Boston College.
- Stanford's offense has had just 10 three-and-out drives this season.
- The Cardinal have outscored their past 23 opponents 510-193 in the first half. Stanford has led or been tied at the half in 24 of the past 25 games.
- Stanford has scored 30 or more points in 14 consecutive games dating to last season and has scored 40 or more in nine of its past 14.
- Stanford is 22-3 in its past 25 home games dating to the final home game of the 2007 season, with losses coming to USC (2008), Cal (2009) and Oregon (2011).
- Stanford has been in the AP top 10 for a school best 20 straight weeks.
- The Cardinal were 4-for-5 in the red zone against Cal, their first red zone miss of the season. Stanford has come away with points on 61-of-62 trips in side the opposition 20 (48 touchdowns, 13 field goals).
St. Brown talks USC, Stanford and more
TBD Weber State Arizona State TBD Idaho State Utah TBD Rutgers Washington State
TBD UC Davis Stanford TBD Fresno State USC TBD Colorado State Colorado TBD Washington Hawaii TBD California Northwestern TBD Portland State Oregon State TBD UCLA Virginia TBD South Dakota Oregon