Stats & Info insights into this morning's top sports stories
Santana1. SANTANA GETS NO SUPPORT AGAIN: FROM THE ELIAS SPORTS BUREAU: Ervin Santana became the first pitcher in MLB history to start five straight games in which his team was shut out. The Angels lost 4-0 to the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday, and Albert Pujols went 0-4. Pujols has now gone homerless in 108 consecutive at bats to start the season, the longest single-season streak of his career. He's 2-20 with two singles during the Santana "shutout" streak.
2. HELP ME RONDO: FROM THE ELIAS SPORTS BUREAU: Rajon Rondo became the first player in NBA history to record 17 points, 14 rebounds, 12 assists and four steals in a playoff game. It is his seventh career triple-double in the playoffs, which is tied with LeBron James for sixth-most all-time. Rondo was suspended by the league in Game 2 of this series, and he becomes the first player in NBA playoff history to record a triple-double after missing his team's previous game.
3. TIGER MISSES CUT: Tiger Woods missed the cut at the Wells Fargo Championship - his eighth career missed cut on the PGA TOUR. He missed the cut at this event in 2010, meaning this is the first event that he's missed the cut twice during his professional career. Phil Mickelson needed to make a putt on final hole to avoid missing the cut as well - if he had missed it, it would've been the first time they both missed the cut in the same PGA TOUR event.
4. BRAVES COME BACK: The Atlanta Braves trailed the Colorado Rockies 5-0 after one inning on Friday, but came back for the 9-8 win in 11 innings. FROM THE ELIAS SPORTS BUREAU: it is the first time the Braves overcame a 5-0 1st inning deficit since October 1, 1991 when they beat the Reds 7-6 despite trailing 6-0 after the first inning.
5. CINCO DE MAYO: It is Cinco de Mayo, so your fifth "Top Thing to Know" is going to be five fun mini-facts about today's action:
1) The last time a horse won the Triple Crown (1978), Kentucky had just won the NCAA Tournament - sound familiar?
2) The last time a Kentucky Derby was run on Cinco de Mayo (2007), Floyd Mayweather Jr. fought Oscar De La Hoya. Street Sense and Mayweather Jr. were the winners.
3) The only time a horse won the Triple Crown when the Kentucky Derby was run on Cinco de Mayo was in 1973, when the legendary Secretariat accomplished the feat.
5) Great news for Dallas Mavericks fans, for one day at least - no defending NBA champion has ever been eliminated from the playoffs on May 5.