Top stats to know: Colts at Chargers
October, 14, 2013
By ESPN Stats & Information | ESPN.com
USA TODAY SportsAndrew Luck and Philip Rivers rank in the top three in Total QBR.The Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers meet tonight on "Monday Night Football" (8:25 ET/ESPN). Here are six stats Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden might touch on tonight:
1. This game features two of the top three leaders in Total QBR this season. Philip Rivers is second at 78.5, while Andrew Luck is third at 77.1. Peyton Manning leads at 90.1.
2. Milestone watch: Philip Rivers is trying to become the first player ever to throw for 400 yards in three consecutive games, and Reggie Wayne needs four receptions to become the ninth player in NFL history with 1,000.
3. Don't look for Dwight Freeney. The longtime Colt, who signed with the Chargers in May, was placed on season-ending injured reserve on Oct. 1 with a quadriceps injury. Freeney had a half-sack in four games with San Diego.
4. The Chargers lead the series 17-10, including the postseason. The teams are meeting on "Monday Night Football" for the second time (Chargers won 31-0 on Nov. 29, 1993, in Indianapolis).
5. The Colts are seeking their fourth straight road win dating to last season. They are among only three teams without a road loss this season.
6. Luck is much improved this season. He has thrown an interception on 1.5 percent of his passes thrown 10 yards or more downfield this season, ranking fifth in the NFL. Last season, Luck threw an interception on 5.6 percent of those throws, ranking 23rd in the NFL. Luck ranked 28th in completion percentage when facing five or more pass-rushers last season, completing just over 50 percent of his attempts. Luck ranks fifth this season, completing nearly 68 percent of his attempts.