It wasn't pretty for CC Sabathia, but the New York Yankees are now 5-1 in Sabathia's six postseason starts. As for the Minnesota Twins, they have now lost 10 straight postseason games -- the fifth team in MLB history to lose at least 10 straight playoff games. Seven of those 10 losses have come against the Yankees.
• Mark Teixeira gave the Yankees the lead for good, when he hit a 3-2 pitch from Jesse Crain for a two-run home run in the seventh inning. During the regular season, Teixeira hit an HR off Crain ... in the 7th inning ... on a 3-2 count. (Although that HR was at Yankee Stadium.)
Most Go-Ahead HR, 7th Inning or Later
Yankees Postseason History
• Yankees scored four runs in the sixth inning. In the 2009 postseason, the Yankees had just one inning where they scored four runs or more: Game 5 of ALCS, New York scored six runs in the top of the 7th inning in a 7-6 loss to the Los Angeles Angels.
• Joe Mauer struck out in two of his three plate appearances against Sabathia. During the regular season, Mauer has struck out against Sabathia nine times, his most strikeouts against any pitcher.
• The Twins scored first, taking a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Minnesota has now scored first in each of the last eight postseason games against the Yankees, and are just 1-7.
• Michael Cuddyer was the only Twin who got to Sabathia (2-3, two-run HR). The rest of the Twins were a combined 3-19 against the Yankees starter, including 0-4 (with a bases-loaded walk) with runners in scoring position.
FROM ELIAS SPORTS BUREAU: The team winning Game One has won each of the 12 Division Series played over the last three years. The last team to lose a Division Series after winning Game One was the 2006 Yankees, who beat Detroit in the opener but lost the next three.