The Philadelphia Phillies rally from a 4-0 deficit with seven unanswered runs and take a commanding 2-0 lead over the Cincinnati Reds in the best-of-five NLDS matchup. This is the fourth time the Phillies have taken a 2-0 lead in a postseason series and in each of the previous years (1980 and 2008) they have gone on to win the World Series.
Philadelphia took advantage of several miscues by the Reds, who became the first team in major-league history to make at least four errors and hit at least three batters in a postseason game. The four Reds errors tied a Division Series record, and the three Reds hit batsmen tied a postseason record.
How unlikely was the Phillies win?
• The Reds had won six straight Game 2s on the road dating back to 1961, which was the longest all-time road win streak in Game 2s
• The Phillies had lost four straight Game 2s dating back to 2008, two games shy of the NL record
• The Phillies are the sixth team to win a postseason game despite throwing two wild pitches and committing two errors. The last team to do it...the Phillies in Game 4 of the 2009 NLDS.
Here's what else you Need To Know:
• Brandon Phillips is the second Reds player to lead off a postseason game with a home run, joining Pete Rose who did it in the 1972 World Series.
• This is the sixth time that a Reds second baseman hit a postseason homer - Joe Morgan has three of the longballs, while Phillips, Mariano Duncan and Bret Boone now have the others.
• Jay Bruce, at the age of 23, is the second-youngest Red to homer in a postseason game, trailing only a 22-year-old Johnny Bench who homered in both the 1970 NLCS and World Series.
• Bruce, who committed the game-turning error in the seventh inning that gave the Phillies the lead for good, was tied for the major league lead in Defensive Runs Saved among right fielders. (Defensive Runs Saved is a metric that combines multiple aspects of an outfielder's defensive ability: to turn batted balls into outs, throw baserunners out and rob home runs.)
• Roy Oswalt got a no-decision and is now unbeaten in eight starts to start his postseason career, the fourth-longest streak all-time.
• Oswalt also allowed the first leadoff home run by a Phillies pitcher in a postseason game when Phillips took him deep in the first inning.
• Chase Utley is the first Phillies player to make two errors in a postseason game.
• The winning pitcher was Jose Contreras and the losing pitcher was Aroldis Chapman, both of whom hail from Cuba. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, this is the first time the winning and losing pitchers of a postseason game were both from Cuba.