Dwyane Wade could be expected to take on a larger role in Miami without LeBron James.
The Good: Paint Scorer & Efficient
• Wade shot a career-high 54.5 percent from the field last season, and much of that was due to his ability to score in the paint. Wade led all guards with 10.5 points in the paint per game last season. Additionally, his 64.1 field goal percentage in the paint was fifth in the NBA and best among all guards with at least 300 paint FG attempts last season.
Most Points in the Paint Per Game
Guards Last Season
• Wade posted a 22.0 Player Efficiency Rating (PER) last season, his 10th straight season with a PER at or above 20. Tim Duncan and LeBron James are the only other players with a PER of 20 or better in each of the last 10 seasons.
The Bad: 3-Pointers & Health
• For all his prowess in the paint, Wade has never been much of a 3-point shooter. He has never shot higher than 31.7 percent from beyond the arc in his career.
• With the exception of the 2010-11 season, Wade went out of his way not to shoot many 3-pointers during the Big 3 era. He attempted fewer 3-pointers over the last three seasons combined (154) than he did in all of 2010-11 (206). Last season, Wade made a career-low nine 3-pointers in 54 games while also attempting a career-low 32 3-pointers. Among guards to start at least 50 games last season, only Shaun Livingston (6) attempted fewer threes than Wade.
• Wade has struggled to remain healthy recently, particularly last season when he missed 28 games. Wade played in just three games on no rest (i.e. back-to-back situations), averaging 13.3 PPG in those games. By comparison, Wade played in 17 such games in the 2010-11 season, scoring 28.5 PPG in those games. His average in those situations has declined in each of the last four seasons.
On 2nd Night of Back-to-Backs
• Perhaps four straight runs to the NBA Finals took a toll on Wade's body. As further evidence that he might be wearing down, Wade's 2014 Finals average of 15.2 PPG was the lowest of his NBA Finals career (5th Finals appearance).