Sunday, October 31, 2010
Garrard goes off against Cowboys
By David Bearman
The Dallas Cowboys are 1-6 (0-4 at home), the fourth time in franchise history they've started 1-6 or worse. As for the Jacksonville Jaguars, David Garrard had a 157.8 passer rating -- the highest ever allowed by the Cowboys in a single game. Garrard accounted for all five touchdowns (four passing, one rushing). He's the second QB since the merger (1970) with four TD passes and a rushing touchdown in a road win, joining Trent Green in 2000.
This was the fifth time this season the Cowboys lost despite outgaining their opponent (415 to 387) in total yards.
Marcedes Lewis had his third two-TD game of the season, tied with Hakeem Nicks for the most in the NFL this season. In his first four seasons, Lewis didn't have two TD receptions in a game.
• The Kansas City Chiefs became the fifth team in NFL history, and the first since the 1994 Philadelphia Eagles, to win an overtime game with no time left on the clock. The Chiefs are also the seventh team to win their first four home games after starting the previous season 0-4 at home.
• From the Elias Sports Bureau: As for the Buffalo Bills, they are the fourth team in NFL history to lose in overtime in consecutive weeks.
• The Green Bay Packers shut out the New York Jets, 9-0. It's their first road victory when scoring nine points or fewer since winning 7-6 at the Baltimore Colts on Oct. 24, 1954. In their two losses this season (both at home), the Jets have failed to score a touchdown.
• The Detroit Lions have four wins since the start of last season, and two of them are against the Washington Redskins. The Lions scored 37 points on Sunday, and have now scored at least 30 points in three games this season after scoring 30 just once in the 2008-09 seasons combined.
• DeAngelo Hall intercepted Matthew Stafford in the first quarter on Sunday, giving him six interceptions this season (including five in the last two games). That ties his single-season career high set in 2005 with the Atlanta Falcons.
• Frank Gore had 118 yards on 29 carries in the San Francisco 49ers' win over the Denver Broncos. San Francisco is 12-0 when Gore has at least 25 carries in a game.
• The St. Louis Rams have four wins, passing their total from the 2008-09 seasons combined (3-29). Sam Bradford hasn't thrown an interception in his last three games after starting the year with eight picks in his first five games.
• The Miami Dolphins' Dan Carpenter has made 10 field goals in his last two games, tying the NFL record for the most FGM in a two-game span.