Friday, December 3, 2010
Bowe, Cassel becoming Chief contributors
By Russell S. Baxter
ESPN NFL Research Coordinator Russell Baxter's Top Five Things to Know as heard this morning on Mike and Mike in the Morning .
• Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassel has 18 TD passes and just one interception in his last seven games, 13 of those scores to WR Dwayne Bowe. Cassel and Bowe could both be headed to their first Pro Bowls. The last time the Chiefs had a QB and WR in the Pro Bowl in the same season was 1983 when they sent Bill Kenney and Carlos Carson.
• The Chicago Bears have rushed for 130 yards in three straight games, after averaging 90.6 rush YPG in their first eight games At 8-3 Chicago has already surpassed last season’s win total (7-9).
• The New Orleans Saints have scored 30 points in three straight games, after reaching the 30-point mark just once in their first eight games. New Orleans led the NFL in points scored in 2008 with 28.9 PPG and in 2009 when they averaged 31.9.
• Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning has thrown nine interceptions in his last four games after throwing two in his first seven games. Incredibly, Manning has thrown 24 interceptions in his last 22 games (including playoffs) dating to last season.
• Including playoffs, Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger has won five straight meetings against the Baltimore Ravens dating to 2007, throwing nine TD passes and just two interceptions while being sacked only 17 times in those five wins. That’s quite a contrast to 2006, when the Ravens swept the Steelers by a combined 58-7 score and Roethlisberger was sacked 14 times in two games.