Friday, December 10, 2010
Jags, Raiders set to battle on ground, not air
By Russell S. Baxter
ESPN NFL Research Coordinator Russell Baxter's Top Five Things to Know as heard this morning on Mike and Mike in the Morning .
• The Oakland Raiders rank third in the NFL in rushing and 28th in passing, while the Jacksonville Jaguars rank second in the league in rushing and 29th in passing. The hottest runner here has been Jaguars' RB Maurice Jones-Drew, who's reached the 100-yard mark in five straight games.
• The St. Louis Rams have allowed 237 points in 12 games this season. In 2009, the Rams allowed 235 points in 16 games -- in the second half and overtime alone. Steve Spagnuolo's club will have its hands full with a New Orleans Saints team that has scored 30-plus points in four straight games.
• The Dallas Cowboys have scored 133 points in their last four games (3-1), after totaling just 161 points in their first eight games (1-7) this season. The revitalized Cowboys now take aim at a Philadelphia Eagles team that the Cowboys defeated three times, including once in the playoffs, last season.
• This season, the New York Jets have allowed 19 passing plays of 30-plus yards in 12 games, after allowing eight passing plays of 30-plus yards in the entire 2009 regular season. And how's this for symmetry? New York has given up 19 TD passes in 12 games this season, compared to eight all of last season.
• The New England Patriots have scored 160 points in winning their last four games, while the Chicago Bears have allowed 192 points in 12 games this season. And in those four contests, Patriots QB Tom Brady has thrown for 13 touchdowns and no interceptions.