Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Eagles flying high as playoffs approach
A statistical look at tonight's game between the Minnesota Vikings and the Philadelphia Eagles.
• The Eagles have won five straight against the Vikings and eight of their last ten games overall. Philadelphia is 5-0 in primetime games this season (4-0 in starts by Michael Vick).
The Vikings haven’t been so lucky in primetime games. They are 0-5 in primetime games this season and 1-6 in primetime games since 2001 when kickoff temperature is below 40 degrees.
• Vick has been one of the top deep passers in the league this season, but his production has dropped off in recent weeks.
Three of Vick’s four interceptions in the last three weeks have been on passes thrown at least 15 yards downfield.
• Vick has been under a lot more pressure as of late -- the Eagles QB has been forced to scramble 40 times in the last seven games compared to just 11 in his first four.
FROM THE ELIAS SPORTS BUREAU:
• Brett Favre and Joe Webb combined for a 49.1 passer rating last week versus Chicago, a week after Webb and Tarvaris Jackson had a collective 45.7 rating against the Giants. The last time the Vikings had a sub-50 passer rating in each of back-to-back games was in Weeks 1 and 2 of the 2005 season, when Daunte Culpepper had a 49.2 rating with no touchdown passes and three interceptions in Week 1 against Tampa Bay and a 36.4 rating with no TD passes and five picks the following week.
The last time Minnesota had a passer rating below 50 in three straight games was in October 1980, with Tommy Kramer as their starting quarterback.
• The last NFL game that took place on a Tuesday was October 1, 1946 when the New York Giants beat the Boston Yanks 17-0 at Braves Field. That game was originally scheduled for September 30 but was postponed due to rain. While the last NFL game played on a Tuesday took place in 1946, there have been a total of 19 NFL games played on a Tuesday and Vikings-Eagles will be the 20th.