Sunday, April 3, 2011
Tigers down Yankees in home run derby
• Miguel Cabrera homered twice as the Detroit Tigers outmuscled the New York Yankees to salvage the final game of their opening three-game series in the Bronx.
It was Cabrera's 19th career multi-homer game, and second at the new Yankee Stadium. Both of his home runs came against cut fastballs from Phil Hughes.
In the loss, the Yankees Jorge Posada also went deep twice, the 17th time in his career he has done so.
However this was the first time he has done so as a designated hitter. Each of the previous 16 came while he was playing catcher.
• For the third straight game to open the season Mark Teixeira hit a home run.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the only other Yankees player to hit a home run in each of the first three games of the season was Dave Winfield in 1983.
• Texeira isn't the only player to have homered in each of the first three games of this season.
His former teammates with the Rangers, Ian Kinsler and Nelson Cruz, both homered for the third straight game to kick off the 2011 campaign.
Kinsler and Cruz are the first set of teammates in Major League Baseball history to do so in each of their team's first three games.
Who’s hot and who’s not to start the 2011 season:
• The Texas Rangers hit 11 home runs and scored 26 runs in a season-opening sweep of the Boston Red Sox.
Boston is 0-3 for the first time since they starting the 1996 season 0-5. The only positive sign was Carl Crawford, who after opening the season 0-for-7, had two hits and an RBI today.
• Crawford’s former team the Tampa Bay Rays have struggled to find offense, getting swept by the Baltimore Orioles.
The Rays scored just one run in each of their first three games to start the season.
According to Elias, they are the first team since the 2007 St. Louis Cardinals to score one run or fewer in each of their first three games.
Meanwhile the Orioles are 3-0 for the first time since 1997. That season they won 98 games, the last time they finished over .500.
• The Philadelphia Phillies are 3-0 for the first time since 2001 after finishing off a sweep of the Houston Astros.
Philadelphia hasn’t started 4-0 since 1915, when they started 8-0.
The Phillies starters have been as good as advertised. Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Roy Oswalt have combined to go 2-0, with a 2.84 ERA in 19 innings.
Each pitcher didn't allow more than 5 hits, and they have 23 combined strikeouts compared to just one walk.
• After a rocky start to 2011, the New York Mets rebounded nicely to take two of three from the Florida Marlins on the road.
Last year, the Mets didn't win a road series against a team from the National League until August 20-22 against the Pittsburgh Pirates.