Saturday, July 9, 2011
Jeter joins the club
Derek Jeter became the 28th player to reach the 3,000-hit milestone, with a home run off Rays starter David Price Saturday at Yankee Stadium. Here are some other facts about Jeter's entry into this exclusive club:
• He is the second player to hit a home run for his 3,000th hit (Wade Boggs).
• At 37 years, 13 days, he is the fourth-youngest player to reach 3,000. Only Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron and Robin Yount were younger.
• He recorded five hits Saturday - the second player to collect five hits in the game he reached the 3,000 plateau (Craig Biggio).
• He is the the fourth player to join the club in July (Cap Anson, Willie Mays, Rafael Palmeiro).
• Now that Jeter has joined, half of the club's 28 members collected their first 3,000 hits with one team.
• Not only is he the first Yankee to join the club, but he's the first to get there wearing any New York uniform (Mets, Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Giants).
• He is the fifth member to play for the Yankees at any time during their career (Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, Paul Waner, Boggs).
• David Price surrendered the big hit. Price's FIRST hit allowed in the majors was a home run to Derek Jeter (Sept. 14, 2008).