Sunday, May 9, 2010
Rapid reaction: Dallas Braden perfect
By ESPN Stats & Info
* Dallas Braden's perfect game was the 19th in MLB history.
* With a 22-8 record entering the game, the Tampa Bay Rays had the highest winning percentage of a team that fell victim to a perfect game.
* The last Athletics no-hitter was thrown by Dave Stewart on June 29, 1990, at the Blue Jays. (Fernando Valenzuela threw one on the same day.)
* The only previous perfect game in Athletics history was thrown by Catfish Hunter on May 8, 1968 (42 years ago yesterday).
*The last time the Rays were no-hit was on July 23, 2009, by Mark Buehrle (perfect game).
* It was the first no-hitter thrown on May 9.
* The only previous no-hitters thrown on the second Sunday of May (Mother's Day) were by Hod Eller of the Reds on May 11, 1919, and Charlie Lea of the Expos on May 10, 1981.
* Braden is the seventh left-hander to throw a perfect game in MLB history:
2010 Dallas Braden
2009 Mark Buehrle
2004 Randy Johnson
1998 David Wells
1994 Kenny Rogers
1988 Tom Browning
1965 Sandy Koufax
* The last time there were two no-hitters thrown in the majors before May 9 was 1994 (Kent Mercker and Scott Erickson).
* The Tampa Bay Rays are now just the second victim of consecutive perfect games of the 19 thrown in major league history. The Rays were on the losing end of Buehrle's perfect game in July 2009. The Los Angeles Dodgers were on the losing side of Tom Browning's perfect game for Cincinnati in 1988 and stumbled again in 1991 to Dennis Martinez of the Montreal Expos.