Thursday, December 1, 2011
Baylor makes history ... with its defense
1. Baylor has accomplished something on its current four-game win streak that hasn’t been done in the history of major college football. The Bears have surrendered at least 30 points in all four of those games, becoming the first team ever to win four straight games in a single season while allowing at least 30 points in each. Hawaii was the only other team to accomplish this feat over four games, but that spanned two seasons (2001-02).
2. UCLA enters the Pac-12 Championship Game with a 6-6 record. If that sounds unlikely, it is. Entering this season, there have been 63 conference championship games played among six conferences. Of the 126 teams that participated in those games, the only other one to enter without a winning record was Miami (OH) in 2007 at 6-6 in the MAC. The RedHawks were thumped by Central Michigan in that game, 35-10.
3. After this weekend’s games, there could be four teams from four different conferences to punch their tickets to a BCS bowl game that have never appeared in one before (Clemson, Oklahoma State, Michigan State and Houston). Since the BCS began in 1998, there have been 45 different teams to appear in BCS bowls representing eight conferences (not including Notre Dame).
So which conference has had the most different teams representing it in a BCS game? The Big East with eight (Miami, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Louisville, UConn, Pittsburgh, Syracuse , Cincinnati). The SEC, Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-10/12 have all had seven different teams in a BCS game. If Houston goes this year, it will be Conference USA’s first ever BCS participant.
4. Saturday, 77-year old Howard Schnellenberger will coach his final game as Florida Atlantic hosts Louisiana-Monroe. Schnellenberger has been the only coach in the history of that program (since 2001). Entering this season he was one of four head coaches to win bowl games at three different schools, but recent coaching changes have claimed Dennis Erickson and Rick Neuheisel off that list.
So entering next season, the only active FBS coach to win bowl games at three different schools will be Tommy Tuberville.
5. With a win over Oklahoma State on Saturday, Oklahoma will have its 32nd 10-win season in school history, breaking a tie with Alabama for the all-time lead (Alabama earned its 31st 10-win season two weeks ago). While double-digit wins aren’t anything new to these schools, there are others at the opposite end of the spectrum.
Of the current 120 FBS schools, 12 have never had a 10-win season. Which school has the distinction of playing the most seasons without a 10-win campaign? That would be Indiana (124 seasons).