Friday, May 28, 2010
1st Pitch: Who's hot?
By Ryan McCrystal, ESPN Stats and Info
Quick Hits: Here’s a look at some hitters who have been hot in certain situations over the past two weeks:
Today’s Trivia: Kirk Gibson, who turns 53 today, won the MVP in 1988 with just 25 home runs. Since that year, only two players have won the NL MVP with fewer home runs. Can you name them?
- Chipper Jones has a .632 OBP and a 1.232 OPS with RISP.
- Billy Butler is batting .522 (12-23) in at bats ending in fastballs.
- Mike Napoli is batting .438 (7-16) against off-speed pitches.
- Casey Blake is batting .375 (9-24) in two-strike counts.
- Brennan Boesch is batting .500 (8-16) on balls up in the zone.
- Adrian Beltre is batting .429 (6-14) on balls out of the strike zone.
Today’s Leaderboard: The Yankees have struggled against sinkers this year, which is bad news for them tonight as they face sinkerballer Fausto Carmona.
Key Matchups: The Yankees have struggled against the sinker as a team, but no one has struggled quite like Alex Rodriguez. A-Rod is 0-7 against sinkers this year. He’s 2-8 in his career against Carmona.
Chris Carpenter is no stranger to facing the Chicago Cubs, especially their three sluggers Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano, facing them a combined 103 times since joining the Cardinals in 2004. Carpenter has had mixed results against them depending on the pitch type, as they are a combined 21-for-50 (.420) against his fastball, but have managed just 1 hit in 22 ABs (.045) against his curve.
Trivia Answer: Terry Pendleton (22 HR) in 1991 and Barry Larkin (15 HR) in 1995.