Wednesday, July 21, 2010
By ESPN Stats & Info
There were seven ejections Tuesday, which is the most this season. Here's a recap of players and managers who got to take an early shower:
- The Yankees Joe Girardi was ejected by Paul Emmel in the bottom of the 5th for arguing a safe/out call.
- The Pirates John Russell was ejected by D.J. Reyburn in the bottom of the 6th for arguing.
- The Dodgers Bob Schaefer was ejected by Adrian Johnson in the bottom of the 6th for arguing.
- The Dodgers Clayton Kershaw and Joe Torre were ejected by Adrian Johnson in the Top of the 7th because Kershaw hit the Giants Aaron Rowand after both teams were warned.
- The A’s Coco Crisp was ejected by Bob Davidson in the Bottom of the 10th for arguing.
- The Red Sox’s John Farrell was ejected by Bob Davidson in the bottom of the 10th for arguing a check swing.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last time seven or more players and managers were ejected on the same day was May 15 of last year.
The Joe Torre ejection in the Giants-Dodgers game in part led to the Giants beating the Dodgers 7-5. Bench coach Don Mattingly - thrust into the manager's role after Torre was tossed - was charged with two trips to the mound, despite leaving the dugout only once. With the Dodgers leading 5-4 in 9th, the Giants had the bases loaded with one out. Mattingly went to the mound to discuss strategy. Mattingly left the mound and headed back to the dugout, but then stepped back on the mound when James Loney asked him a question. This constituted two trips to the mound, forcing closer Jonathan Broxton out of the game. With no time to warm up, George Sherrill's gave up a double to the left-center gap by Andres Torres, giving the Giants a 6-5 lead.