Thursday, September 9, 2010
Nation's most efficient pass attacks collide
By Gregg Found
Thursday night be sure to check out the college football action on the ESPN Family of Networks:
Central Michigan at Temple, 7 ET on ESPNU
• The Temple Owls are the preseason MAC favorite, but the Central Michigan Chippewas have won three of the last four MAC titles.
• Temple has won six straight at home, which is one shy of the school record home win streak. It's been awhile since the Owls have been this good … that record was set all the way back in 1940 and 1941!
• However, don't expect the Chippewas to become easy road kill. They have won 11 of their last 12 MAC road games.
21 Auburn at Mississippi State, 7:30 ET on ESPN
• The Auburn Tigers have won 16 of their last 17 SEC openers. Their only loss over this span was to the Mississippi State Bulldogs, however, in 2007.
• The last time these teams met in Starkville, a baseball game broke out. Auburn won by a remarkable score of 3-2 in 2008.
• Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen coached Auburn QB Cam Newton at Florida.
• After Week 1, these teams are No. 1 and No. 2 nationally in pass efficiency. In other words, don't expect another 3-2 game. These teams combined for 101 points in their opening week wins.